quail advise please

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

Marigold

Re: quail advise please

Post by Marigold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 am

If they're 10 weeks old they were hatched at the end of October. I expect it's the same as if you had bought young pullets which would now be about 20 weeks old - you could have expected them to lay any time if you had them earlier in the year, but going into winter they will probably now delay their maturity until next Spring. The light and the temperature conditions at the moment mean that they realise it's just not possible for them to come into breeding condition. They will be stronger birds if they wait to lay until they ca get proper sunlight and warmer days.
What's the temperature like in the garage? Yes they will appreciate a bit of warmth - I gave mine a chick brooder which they huddled under quite a lot. You can't expect them to do more than just survive if they're very cold.
dye29
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dye29 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:22 am

ye id say it not far off same temp out side , i was thinking my electric hen adjust legs fully and use that would it work
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:22 am

Yes that would be good. Even without heat, they're much better off in the garage than out on the allotment as it's dry and out of the wind, but after all, they are birds that originate from hotter countries, and are very small so would lose heat fast and take a lot of energy to keep warm. I don't know if heat would help them into lay but it would certainly make them more comfortable, especially overnight at the moment. Just observe them as if they were chicks to see whether they move away from the heat because it's too hot for them. Presumably they've got room to do this? If they're too hot and can't find a cooler spot they will pant with their tongues hanging out.
Have you been able to fix up any shelter for your hens now that snow is forecast?
dye29

Post by dye29 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm

yes ive made a area out of pallets so they can go in under shelter but still be outside seems ok
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Well done, that will help them a lot. Did you get much snow?
dye29

Post by dye29 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:31 pm

no very little nothing to talk about think rest of country got loads , is cooked lentils good for hens as ive done them and gave them some warms ones are they high in protein at all
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm

I expect they'll like them, but would advise you just to stick to their quail food and a few greens. If you start feeding high- protein, high-calory stuff to such tiny bird as well as their ordinary food,, you risk getting their diet out of balance, especially as they're not using up nutrients by laying eggs yet.
Do they like the electric hen?
dye29

Post by dye29 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 pm

sorry for my chickens not quails
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Same thing applies - just keep them on their specially balanced pellets, don't try to add extra protein etc, just a few greens and a very small amount of treats. If you add a lot of high- calorie, high- protein extras they will get fat and probably lay less well.
dye29

Post by dye29 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm

IMG_0988 (Mobile).JPG
quail
IMG_0988 (Mobile).JPG (61 KiB) Viewed 388 times
while im on with pics this is my quail setup my light is different now its in centre of box downover still no eggs but canny watching them , was thinking are they brainy birds as i had them outside to start then in will they of relised its winter and thought sod you im not laying , ive read up quail will lay in winter just not many so im surprised theres not a daft egg

Return to “Quail Forum”