today is the day

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

rita
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

today is the day

Post by rita » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:43 am

well my bobwhites are due to hatch today. very anxious that none will hatch. i know its not a good time to try and hatch eggs in the winter and they travelled from Ireland and Essex in the post. i had 36 and i am now left with 9 in the lock down. i know 3 are alive when i locked down not sure about the other 6 ? i have the temp at 37.5 and humidity now at 65. it's now the waiting game, i keep going up and whistling to them to see if i get a response but nothing so far. fingers crossed.
rita

Re: today is the day

Post by rita » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:46 pm

not sure if anyone is interested but quails has still not hatched. i am getting a bit worried now. i will be gutted if some don't hatch. :(
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 am

Any luck overnight?
rita

Post by rita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:26 pm

two hatched this morning with another cutting his way out as we speak. did a quick check and two more are alive in the shell so hope they will follow on later tonight. :-)17
been a bit mad today as my hubby broke his leg while out on his mountain bike. bless him. :cry:
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Very sorry to hear about your husband's accident, Rita - but great news about the quails, well done!
rita

Post by rita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:39 pm

i have 7 quails at the moment and one is still in the egg, he is still alive but does not seem to be in a hurry about coming out.
i will try and get some photo's of them for you to see. they are just adorable. :D
ColinB
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by ColinB » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:01 am

Sorry to hear about hubby! There's been a spate of broken bones around here lately (tho' none in the B household), including a badly broken arm for our chicken, duck, goose and shetland pony keeping neighbour. So I'm round there quite often helping out with the menagerie. Those geese are frightening!

Glad to hear the quail are hatching - keep those piccies coming.
Col
rita

Post by rita » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:24 pm

just an update on the bobwhites they are now 1 week old and just started to sprout some feathers on their wings. they are still very small, also they are really wild, not friendly like the coturnix quails which i had before. not sure how many males are there, i will have to wait until they get bigger. :)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:55 am

Glad to hear they're all doing well, Rita. It's interesting that their behaviour is different from Coturnix. Are they bigger than Coturnix would be at a week old?
The feather sprouting stage is so interesting - can you see yet what colours are going to come through?
rita

Post by rita » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:39 pm

they are a lot slower growing, and they are not friendly at all, really wild. i have lost one not sure what happened to it but found it dead, no marks on it. all the others are looking good and very active. i was warned that they are not a friendly quail compared to the cortinix. hubby has now had his operation and they have pinned the leg and ankle, home tomorrow thank goodness.

Return to “Quail Forum”