what to put into the quail pen

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

rita
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: what to put into the quail pen

Post by rita » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 pm

he said his climb up the ladders, so i will add one and see. my Coturnix i had first never did.
i would like to show you a photo of of the parents but can't seem to send one.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 am

Yes I wondered if they would be different. When's the hatch due? How many eggs have you set?

There's some help with posting pics in the Photos of Chickens section, here viewforum.php?f=27
Basically you just need to use an image resizer program to reduce the pic to Medium.
rita

Post by rita » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:48 pm

http://i68.tinypic.com/9k2mar.jpg

hope this works. here is the photo of the parents of my new quails, if they hatch.
rita

Post by rita » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:04 pm

[attach172367125949_1[1].jpg

hope this works.
Attachments
172367125949_1[1].jpg
172367125949_1[1].jpg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
rita

Post by rita » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:55 pm

cheers Margaret i think i managed the photo in the end.
the eggs have only just gone in as i was waiting for the other eggs from Ireland to turn up.
i ordered 12 from Essex and he sent 24 which was really nice of him, but i am worried that if they all hatch i will be in trouble.
also 12 from Ireland. they said that the hatch rate will be a lot lower through the winter month.
i will candle them when they are 8 days in.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:23 am

They're really beautiful parents, aren't they? How many days do they take to incubate? I know it's 16 for Coturnix. Also with Coturnix you need very low humidity and are more likely to be successful if incubating dry, i.e, no water added, just the 40%+ humidity from normal air in the UK, so I wondered if your breeders had any advice on this for bobwhites?
Do they have heavily patterned shells like Coturnix? Most Coturnix breeders don't candle because it's so difficult to see through the patterns and the eggshells are so thin and delicate compared with poultry eggs.
rita

Post by rita » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:25 pm

hi Margaret they take about 23 - 24 days to hatch. i was going to hatch dry but the room is measuring 52% humidity so i set the incubator at 40.
the temp is the same though.
their shells are pure white so it will make it easy to candle. i won't do them all as i don't want to leave the incubator lid off to long so i will just do a few. hope i manage to hatch some.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:53 pm

That's all very interesting. Obviously quite different from Coturnix in lots of ways, steep learning curve, I expect. Are the eggs bigger than Coturnix? Do let us know how you get on.
rita

Post by rita » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi Margaret i put in 36 eggs and i candled them and only 12 are fertile, i candled them today and 3 have stopped growing for some reason, hope i don't loose any more. i wondered if they were turning ok in the incubator as they seemed stuck to one side of the egg. i am wondering if the racks were to close together.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 pm

There are several reasons why hatch rates might be low, apart from low fertility in the parent birds. Development is best from fresh eggs, less than 7-10 days old, and as you said your supplies came from two sources, it might be that by the time they went in, some of them were too old to make it. Also, eggs by post is always a bit problematic, the inevitable shakeup doesn't help them, and if from an eBay seller who hasn't been recommended to you, that's another unknown. I don't know what's happening in your incubator but if you've thinned out the infertile ones I expect the rest will have enough space now, and so long as the temperature and humidity are correct for this species, you should be in with a chance of getting a few out of the 9 remaining good ones. Good luck, anyway - when's the big day?

Return to “Quail Forum”