Post by LB81 »

Chick number 2
Chick number 2
20210113_201907.jpg (53.49 KiB) Viewed 55 times
LB81
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Quail chicks

Post by LB81 »

Not long put them in brooding box they are eating and drinking no problem. So cute 🥰
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Aaahh they’re lovely! Worth all your worry and care!
Are any left not hatched yet?
LB81

Post by LB81 »

No the other ones didn't hatch they died early at least I have these two little guys 😊
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

D9 you know if they died in the shell, or whether they were infertile?
LB81

Post by LB81 »

2 died in shell and 1 was infertile.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

One infertile egg could be considered normal especially at this time of year, but you could think about the deaths in shell if you intend to try again.
Were they fully formed, filling the shell and apparently ready to hatch? Had any of them made even a tiny chip in the shell? If so, perhaps the humidity was too low at Day 16. It’s helpful to keep it low before this stage, but when the turning stops 24 hours before the hatch, it needs boosting to 70% by adding water to the reservoir. At this point you can add the cotton floor covering, so that those who do hatch will find it easier to get up on their legs on those all- important early minutes.
LB81

Post by LB81 »

1 died very early on and the other was about day 9 or 10 when it died is it a case of trial and error getting the temperature and humidity right? I don't just go by my incubator I use a separate temperature and humidity digital prob I just leave it in the whole time of incubation. We are going to start getting materials to build a quail home outside so that it's ready for late spring.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

If it’s early deaths in shell it might be egg quality. Ideally you need fresh clean eggs, all laid within a couple of days so all the same age, locally sourced and not sent through the post. Your incubator procedures were obviously good enough for half the batch to hatch, even if one didn’t make it properly, so yes, this might be a contributory cause, possibly, but not an obvious one. Early quail deaths in shell often indicate that the humidity was too high. Being so small, the highly porous shells have a greater surface area in relation to the volume of the contents than would be the case for bigger eggs with tougher thicker shells.
Having said all that, quail eggs are usually pretty tough. There are reports of people trying to incubate supermarket eggs, quite old obviously, and after a lot of disturbance, and still getting live chicks.
Where did you get yours from?

Return to “Quail Forum”