First time raising quails

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

Marigold

Re: First time raising quails

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 am

hi Concerned Parent, glad you got a couple. yes, leave them 24 hours, like all baby chicks they have reserves of food from the yolk sac and its more important to let them dry off thoroughly and stay warm than to eat at this stage. Sorry they didn't all hatch - I never found the membrane was tough in fact mine seemed to cut off the top of the shell and get out very much faster than chickens. Aren't they beautiful?

Here's a link to some bits of video of my first hatch. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5755
A bit further on in the archive, there are some more threads about my hatches, if you're interested.
Deetle
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Deetle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi, sadly 1 of the little chaps didnt make it. Wasnt right from the start and was never able to stand erect, straighten at the knees if you like. So after 3 days he/she died. The other hatchling is full of beans and going well but alas is alone. We've tried bringing a mature quail into the brooder for short periods, they didn't really bond but nothing bad happened either.
Ive been reducing the temp a little as feathers are coming through. When would I be thinking about putting it outside, thinking weeks not days? Outdoor temperatures are about 10c - 28c atm.
Deetle
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Deetle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Love the vids Marigold
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 pm

hi Deetle, sorry to hear one of them died. The chick could go out during the day in a sheltered run, covered against the rain if any, once he's off heat and the temperature in the run is equal to what he would have experienced in the brooder, but he might feel very exposed on his own. He should be fully feathered by 6 weeks but as he's on his own with nobody to snuggle up to at night, he may need to come back in for more warmth overnight. Depends on the climate ATM where you are. I think 10C is too low, just observe and seer how he gets on. Maybe 'he' will turn out to be a girl, with luck. Intergrating him/her might be problematic, it's always tricky with just one.

Return to “Quail Forum”