MAJOR Update in progress

Welcome to the poultrykeeper.com forum. Read our rules and say hello if you are new here.

Moderator: pebojuno

rick

Re: MAJOR Update in progress

Post by rick » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Ive just made a new avatar (its big 'ol Bonnie) and it was quite tricky to get the file size small enough (max 6kB).
The thing that did it was to open the advanced quality setting when saving the JPEG and turn off 'Save EXIF data' and 'Save XMP data'. That reduced the file size from 11kB down to 5.4kB saved at 90% quality. The image is 84 x 84 pixels.
... Ive just got to say Orps are so lovely! They do have some potential issues with their build, being somewhat built for Sunday roast :shock: , but strong too as long as they have a ramp up to the roost. But can fly, remarkably, like a bumble bee! Great trooper - good natured - sensible- creamy eggs - love em!

That's great, what an excellent avatar. And helpful info for others to try, thanks Rick.
When I did mine, it took ages to get it small enough and in the end Tim had to help me.
Poultrykeeper Admin
Site Admin

Post by Poultrykeeper Admin » Thu May 03, 2018 6:24 am

Haha you guys make me laugh.

No it’s affiliate commission so you have to buy something after clicking on the link, then a small percentage gets paid. I don’t know what that percentage is yet, it doesn’t seem to say. Probably because it varies between websites. I would expect 3 to 5%.

So if you buy a diamond ring, we might be able to keep the forum running for a few months ;-)

Tim
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 am

But why are there links showing in some posts and not in others? Is it something to do with the settings on my laptop vs settings on the tablet? Hmm.
diamond ring, chicken coop, electric toothbrush!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu May 03, 2018 9:02 am

No links in that one either!
Poultrykeeper Admin
Site Admin

Post by Poultrykeeper Admin » Thu May 03, 2018 9:53 am

I'm sorry I haven't a clue...

All I see is a screen that 'enables' the links. There is some code that will be on the page that allows their server to 'insert' the links some way but what the rules are? Who knows!

The only one I've seen is on this page: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10593&p=65256

Link-Example.jpg
Link-Example.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Can everyone see this link?

Tim
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

Poultrykeeper Admin wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:24 am

So if you buy a diamond ring, we might be able to keep the forum running for a few months ;-)

Tim
Fat chance of that!

I can see the link to "Only thing ...", but I could see the others anyway.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 pm

When I went back to the original post and clicked on the words, which are in paler type, it came up with a link to a nice new cooker from Argos.
I think this might be a suggestion about what to do with my troublesome pullet!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu May 03, 2018 6:15 pm

No links on either my iPad mini or my MacBook.
Is there a special exemption for moderators?

Edit; oh now I see! The words 'iPad Mini' come up in paler type, and when I clicked on it, I got an ad for an iPad holder! Nothing for my MacBook, though.

- until I posted the last sentence, found the word MacBook had come up in pale type, and then I got a link to a protective case for it - only £2.99!
This is great! The lovely new clean format isn't disfigured by banner advertisements, and you don't have to click on the words in pale type if you don't want to!
The suggestions are very random, though - in the thread about Violet, I found 'bunch of greens' was pale so I clicked and it took me to plastic wristbands in various colours to distinguish children by classroom performance - pretty useless, as too big for naughty chickens.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 pm

I went back again to Tim's link to LadyA's post about how to deal with Violet's pecking and noticed there were two more 'pale' words. 'gardening gloves' were suggested as a way of protecting myself. What came up was an impressively pugilistic pair of boxing gloves - available in ten lovely bright colours - a bit over the top for dear little Violet, I felt. The unexpectedness of these links does make you want to click, if not to buy!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri May 04, 2018 9:57 am

Marigold wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:15 pm
No links on either my iPad mini or my MacBook.
Is there a special exemption for moderators?

Edit; oh now I see! The words 'iPad Mini' come up in paler type, and when I clicked on it, I got an ad for an iPad holder! Nothing for my MacBook, though.

- until I posted the last sentence, found the word MacBook had come up in pale type, and then I got a link to a protective case for it - only £2.99!
This is great! The lovely new clean format isn't disfigured by banner advertisements, and you don't have to click on the words in pale type if you don't want to!
The suggestions are very random, though - in the thread about Violet, I found 'bunch of greens' was pale so I clicked and it took me to plastic wristbands in various colours to distinguish children by classroom performance - pretty useless, as too big for naughty chickens.
I'm not seeing the links for your ipad mini! Seems all a bit random!! :D

Return to “Welcome and Forum Rules”