best electric hen

Advertise your surplus items here. Certain business ads are welcome but please ensure these meet the rules.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Forum rules
Poultry related Ads only. Please put 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' in your title and your location if you are selling something that requires collection to help people search.

*Business sellers, please read these rules*
crazypianolady
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: best electric hen

Post by crazypianolady » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm

I use an electric hen, one of these

http://www.regencypoultry.com/heat_lamp ... ic_hen.htm

The smallest size fits in my small cage easily. It's simple to have two legs lower than the other two so the chicks can find their own 'comfort zone', and since it's heat not light there's no problem with letting the chicks keep natural daylight hours. (Economical to run, too! ;) :) )
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 am

Having seen the prices of these units everyone has shown I have to say they are very good value. I paid £35 just for a 25W heat mat! They actually work out much cheaper to buy than using a two lamp system, use less electricity as well, which is a major factor in chick rearing costs -we are on economy 7 so daytime electricity is very expensive. I have been converted so must add to France shopping list!
chrisarvor

Post by chrisarvor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 pm

surely if its cold they would die if you turn it off??
i have always left my bulbs on for 24 hrs until they are big enough to go out
trouble106

best electric hen

Post by trouble106 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi, I also use an electric hen sounds the same ad foxys'
Got it on e-bay, was only £35.00 and have very successfully used for the past 3 years. Would defiantly recommend it.
dorinda
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dorinda » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 pm

I have bought 6 electric Hens from PandP and never had any problem - one heat lamp (traditional red) costs the same to run as 5 of my smaller electric hens, (40chick size) I've found the chicks to be healthier, feather up quicker and an electric hen resembles more a broody hen - I would never go back to my heat lamps (that the chicks can't get away from the heat even if they wanted to) or my previous electricity bills - which were frankly frightening
Cochin Best of Breed -Scottish National 2010, 2011, 2012, Best of Breed Favorelles 2012, Best Opp Size Brahma, Best of breed Sabelpoot, best opp Sex, 1sts White German Langshan fem. Male Large Favorelles, and AOV Rare large - Male spangled Russian Orloff
Philcott
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Philcott » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm

chrisarvor wrote:surely if its cold they would die if you turn it off??
i have always left my bulbs on for 24 hrs until they are big enough to go out
You don't turn the electric hens off, you just raise them on their legs higher and higher above the birds, until the chicks are fully feathered and able to be off heat. :) I'm assuming that was what you meant about 'turning it off'?
Breed Registrar for Autosexing Poultry on behalf of the Rare Poultry Society.
www.autosexing-poultry.co.uk

Return to “Poultry Equipment For Sale or Wanted”