Winter greens

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Winter greens

Post by chickenfan »

I just wonder the best thing to give birds in the winter to make up for the lack of greens and nutritious grass? I think I read somewhere about sprouting something for them.
Marigold

Re: Winter greens

Post by Marigold »

I just give mine some cabbage or other greens, they do seem to like white cabbage.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

We hang cabbage leaves from a tree in the only enclosure with no grass Chickenfan. They enjoy jumping up and pulling bits off.
rick

Post by rick »

Ours love spring greens. I tie a few leaves to the side of their wooden bowl ( there's a hole for the string). Wheat and barley sprout well but I ran out and have found millet from the local shop is also shoots. Try moistening a bit in a jar, if it doesn't start to grow in 3-4 days then it probably won't.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley »

Mine love greens, cabbage of any sort, lettuce, especially 2 ft long ones from my brother's allotment, bruised fruit, apples, pears, grapes.
Sound spoiled, don't they? well, they are. and it is lovely to be so welcomed when I go to them with food offerings.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Post by chickenfan »

Thank you for all the ideas.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by BabyBantam »

Basic white cabbage for my pekins. I cut it in half so they can get started and four pekins will devour a whole one in a couple of days :) they don't seem to like sprouts or tough savoys though

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”