Can chickens eat fresh Pineapple or oranges?

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Can chickens eat fresh Pineapple or oranges?

Postby cebhh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

I usually keep a lot of fruit at home for when the grandkids are here, but rather than some of it go to waste, can I give the chickens fresh pineapple or oranges mixed in with some lettce or tomato etc for a treat? Im always wary of adding something different to their diet without checking first.
cebhh
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Can chickens eat fresh Pineapple or oranges?

Postby Lucylou » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Oranges definately, its good for them, vitamin C & all that! Mine peck all the flesh out of the skins. Pineapple I'm not sure about.
'A woman is like a teabag, only in hot water do you realise how strong she is'
Lucylou
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Mooner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Hiya - I regularly give mine fresh pineapple. I also put out the top, base, and skin aswell and they seem to love it. they don't leave much behind other than the bare skins. I also do this with the skin and pips in melons as well as the flesh. I expect you already know they love grapes and bananas too! In fact, there's not much in the fruit and veg line that mine won't eat, other than onions, leeks and celery!
Mooner
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Marigold » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 pm

I think they are usually pretty good at ignoring stuff that they don't like, or theybthink is harmful to them, and just as with dogs, different chickens dislike different things. My hens won't touch spinach but I know a lot of people say they feed it regularly and it's popular,
The main thing is to avoid giving them stuff which they will like but which is high in fat, salt or sugar, i.e. human food scraps other than fruit or veg.
Marigold

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 am

Orange is OK but it's not liked by all. Pineapple - not if they're taking Statins ! Sorry that's Grapefruit ! Sick joke !
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 am

A couple of years ago, after I added Rhubarb leaves to my list of 'Poisonous plants' for chickens, my lot decided they would teach me a lesson and eat all of the new growth of rhubarb leaves in the garden :o

I was worried at the time but they were fine.

What is interesting about this is I've never seen them touch the older leaves - but then researching a little, it turns out that the Oxalic acid is much stronger later in the year when the leaves mature...

So do they know this and if so how? It's not like they have been bred for thousands of years with access to rhubarb leaves and learned not to eat them. I'm guessing it must be through taste and smell.
Tim

Postby cebhh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 pm

HI, many thanks to everyone for the advice. Appreciated! Will try them with some today.
cebhh
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby cebhh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 pm

They seem to be enjoying it all. I cut up and mixed some pineapple bits with some tangerines and cucumber. I've also put the top and the skin out and will check later if they go for that.
Occasionally I put a savoy cabbage out ( hanging from a string and raised a bit higher than head level)for them to jump up and peck at, and they seem to make short work of that too!
cebhh
Newcomer / Hatchling

Treats

Postby cebhh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Another question... should I still be giving the chickens corn when they are getting some other type of treat... a couple still hover around me looking for the corn, I'm sure... I have been doing so, but wonder if I am overfeeding them. (They look and act very healthy though, and thye only have access to pellets from the feeder in the morning, to hopefully ensure they are getting the nutrients they need. I also am still getting a good quantity of eggs daily (3-5) from 6 chickens.
cebhh
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby bantiekeeper » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm

I think I would still give a little corn in the afternoon to keep them going through the night. :)
bantiekeeper
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Next

Return to General Chickens Forum