Scraps or no scraps, which is best?

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

cherrycoop
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Scraps or no scraps, which is best?

Post by cherrycoop » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks for all the feed back. Will make sure I only use the outside kitchen for all food preparation and feed my family on the scraps! Pity about the avies as we get loads here - dogs love them and their coats really benefit.
JanineE

Post by JanineE » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks again Chuck,
All this advice is much appreciated. I just want to do the best for our girls. Delighted to say our poorly hen Delilah has made a full recovery
Stapfam

Post by Stapfam » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Going back 50 years now And my parents had chicken- about 30 on 1/4 acre and were freerange. They were fed on scraps from a local Greengrocer (Who got a dozen eggs a week) which were boiled up and mixed with bran. When the Greengrocer had no scraps- they were fed Chit potatoes-Ones too small to sell- and were once again boiled up. But everything went into that boiling food pot.Fruit- veg- and any of our table scraps.

Nowadays- all garden waste goes into the run- Don't know if any of you try to compost any pond weed from your fish pond but it will still be there in 6 months time. Give it to the chickens and if they don't eat it- they will scratch it to death. I grow too many cabbage for me and the Pigeons to eat so the chickens get it. They love vine leaves- Bean leaves and garden weeds. Only garden waste I do not feed them is potato and tomato haulm. They are poisonous and I don't even compost that now due to possible blight the following year.
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 am

:-)08 Good post above.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
charliefox

Post by charliefox » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:25 am

hi me again ask yourself this question would you eat the same thing day in and day out no chickens are omnivores they eat a wide variety of things kichen scraps being one of them dont give them anything with salt in it .boiled spuds are fine as is most green stuff carrots and sweed should be cooked also, and if you use a little common sense you wont go far wrong (which seams to be in short supply on this forum sometimes) one thing i would like to know this rule or law or what ever it is i would like to see it in black and white can anyone point me in the right direction .all the best uncle fox
Jen O
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Jen O » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 am

I am also a newby and have 7 girly's. I have found the info really interesting. I was debating giving them some left over meat/bones to pick, but I think on balance that I will take it out. They do love the scraps though with brown rice and potato peelings (cooked of course) being their favourites. They look so disappointed if I go in empty handed. They do find their own meat though, they caught a slow worm the other day and spent the next half an hour chasing around the run in relay fashion. One would pick it up and the other six would chase until she dropped it and then the batton would be pick up by another and the whole race would start again. It was the funniest thing I have seen and I should have filmed it, I am sure that I would have got the £250 from You've been framed. I did consider rescuing the slow worm, but was worried I would loose my fingers in the process!! :D
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Jen, and welcome to the forum.
Personally i would have dived in there and rescued the slowworm, since they are an protected species. We are lucky enough to have them under a pile of old bricks in our garden, and they sometimes lay their eggs in the warmth of the compost heap. They are very beautiful and harmless creatures and we feel so lucky to have them to cherish. Can't bear the thought of the chickens tearing one to pieces for that length of time.
Stapfam

Post by Stapfam » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm

On the subject of MEAT and DAIRY. They will come to no harm if it is given to them- but like everything else in moderation. I have seen Mice killed and eaten by chickens and I knew of a Dairy farmer that gave all his "Contaminated" milk to the pigs and Chickens in their bran mix. As part of a well founded diet- then some protein in the form of Meat and Dairy will do no harm.

Saying that- It does go against the grain to give it to Fowl and is not something that I would do. And if you have seen how quickly a Chicken can be cannibalised once the chooks have got a taste for Raw meat- it is something i would be wary of doing.
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by tygrysek75 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Marigold wrote: sometimes lay their eggs in the warmth of the compost heap.
Slowworm female gives live birth to the ofspring so the eggs which you see are not theirs.You are very lucky ihad not seen in the wild ever.People often mistaken that is a snake but it belong to the lizard family and will drop its tail to escape danger.
The older I get the older old is.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 pm

What I saw was actually baby slowworms, not eggs, as well as an adult, I didn't know they were live-born, thank you Tyg. I cover the heap with bubble wrap to keep it warm and in summer it gets really hot when the grass clippings go on, so it must have been a good brooder for the babies. Sometimes I disturb a slow worm when I move big stones, and they also can sometimes be found in heaps of wood chippings from the garden processor. Our garden is on chalky soil so drains well, plus it's designed for wildlife as far as possible with mature hedges to get under, and I think that's the sort of conditions they like, plus minimum disturbance of course.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”