Young Bantam Hen can't walk or stand

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Young Bantam Hen can't walk or stand

Postby Pigeonman624 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:05 am

Hi,
I'm new to the chicken world. Have bred and raced homing pigeon for over forty years. I have a young Bantam hen( about a year old) who has been doing fine until last Monday. I came Monday at lunch to let the dogs out and check on the birds. All was fine. I came home after work about 5:20 and the hen was lying in the dirt. I thought she was just cooling off ,till I went in to feed them and she didn't move. I picked her up checked her out she looked and felt fine. I put her back down and she just laid there. So I took her to the cellar put her in a box with plenty of shavings, food and water. It's been almost a week now and no improvement. She eats and drinks a little. I give her vitamin pills twice a day I use for the pigeons. She looks fine except for the fact that she can not stand or walk. Any help will be appreciated. Pigeonman624
Pigeonman624
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Young Bantam Hen can't walk or stand

Postby karminski » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:10 am

wish i could help you but i would say that shes paralysed via an attack or injury a trip to the vet would be the best bet .
karminski
Part of the Flock

Postby Sue » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:30 pm

It would probably be a good idea to get her checked by a vet so that you know whether it is likely to be a temporary or permanent problem. You will then be able to make an informed decision regarding the best course of action. I'm assuming you know that her legs aren't actually broken. Are they completely paralysed? Can she move her feet? Can she stand at all if you stand her up? Could she have hurt her back in any way?

If she were mine I would take her to a 'chicken friendly' vet to be checked over and if it was likely to only be temporary then you could decide between yourself and the vet a time limit to give her to see if she improves. Of course he may not be able to tell you what the problem is and it may just be a wait and see situation, but at least if you see a vet you know you've done all you can to help.
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby chrismahon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I agree with Sue and Karminski and a trip to the vet is in order. It may be damage that has caused a swelling which is putting pressure on the spine -anti inflamatories. Or it may be neuroligical, which does happen and there is no cure. A course of Metacam be resolve it.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Chuck » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Problem with so many vets is that you will come away much poorer and none the wiser. If she has been down for a week it doesn't sound good.
If she was a pigeon, what would you do ?
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Postby karminski » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 am

and it doesnt help when the worse happens over a bank holiday and no vets are open that always happens to me .
karminski
Part of the Flock

Postby Sue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 am

She's not a pigeon Chuck! Her owner obviously wants to do the best they can for her which is why they have asked this forum for useful advice.
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby charliefox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am

Hi if you have kept pigions for forty years you already know the answer to this question ? uncle fox
charliefox
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby charliefox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 am

charliefox wrote:Hi if you have kept pigions for forty years you already know the answer to this question ? uncle fox
perhaps but comeing back with a reply like that helps no one
charliefox
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Chuck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 am

Sue wrote:She's not a pigeon Chuck! Her owner obviously wants to do the best they can for her which is why they have asked this forum for useful advice.

So, so often, you miss the point Sue !!
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Next

Return to General Chickens Forum