A Beginners Guide....

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: A Beginners Guide....

Postby chrismahon » Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Great Post BabyBantam. Not a beginner now obviously! I'll have to look into this Ivermectin as I am still wary of Frontline.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby BabyBantam » Mon May 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Sorry for long delay in replying - PC problems!
I think (not 100%) that they are a similar product/chemical, but this one licenced for birds. I give mine a couple of drops every 3 months and (fingers crossed) have neither red mite, nor a lice problem.... the birds seem a little 'quiet' for a day afterwards, but then so does the dog when I front line him.
Not sure how much it cost, but one bottle is lasting me ages and has been great peace of mind.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Philcott » Mon May 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Ivermectin/Eprinex are similar and your vet will give you a script if you ask nicely. Ivermectin/Eprinex is also a good wormer.

Frontline is different from the first mentioned.
Breed Registrar for Autosexing Poultry on behalf of the Rare Poultry Society.
www.autosexing-poultry.co.uk
Philcott

Postby BabyBantam » Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks Philcott - I've still got L plates on ;)
BabyBantam

Postby Philcott » Tue May 15, 2012 7:08 am

BabyBantam wrote:Thanks Philcott - I've still got L plates on ;)

Don't worry - where chickens are concerned we've all still got them on! :-)17
Breed Registrar for Autosexing Poultry on behalf of the Rare Poultry Society.
www.autosexing-poultry.co.uk
Philcott

Postby chrismahon » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Recent posts here and on another forum suggest that Ivermectin isn't as effective as Frontline on Northern Fowl Mite. So we are sticking with the Frontline spray.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby t4viper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am

Hey I'm definitely under the beginners hat having bought my first chooks , 3 amber stars, tail end of last year. Just wanted to say thank you for all the very useful info on this forum ! :-)08
t4viper
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby Marigold » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:25 am

Hi there t4viper, and welcome to the Forum. I had an Amber Star and she was a lovely hen who laid very well. One of the nice things about them is, that being bred to lay eggs rather than to conform to a breed standard of appearance, they are all somewhat different and individual in their feather colours and patterns, with feather mixes ranging from nearly white to almost brown. Can you easily tell your girls apart like this? I'd like to see some pics of them if possible. My Amber was a very gentle bird.
Marigold

Postby Cab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Here's the advice I wish I'd been given...

You have probably, by now, read articles, books, posts online or magazines telling you about red mite, scaly leg, worms, impacted this, falling out that, or shedding the other. And you're no doubt waiting for the poultry equivalent of Armageddon as your birds immediately come down with all of these. As a result you're armed to the teeth with disinfectant spray, diatom powder, purple anti-peck spray, etc.

Don't worry. Yes, you'll probaly get red mite or some other problems at some stage. But you're not likely to suddenly find the sky falling down. Just keep calm, keep an eye on them, spend 'quality time' with them having a look see to make sure they're okay, and keep an eye on bedding, house and run. You'll soon be able to tell if anything is amiss.

Its right to take all the steps you see advised to keep your flock healthy and happy; prevention of any pest is better than cure! But don't worry overly, you will get things wrong sometimes but your birds will probably be okay. Don't fret.
Cab

Postby chrismahon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 am

Good advice Cab. If you observe your birds and get to know them you will soon know if anything is wrong, long before it becomes a major problem.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

PreviousNext

Return to Any Other Discussion About Chickens