Exporting Chickens

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Wrigley62
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Exporting Chickens

Post by Wrigley62 »

Good luck Chris,

If you need any help just send me a ticket and I'll be there :D ;)

Post some pics (if you can) we'd love to see what the place looks like and to see how your progressing.

Wrigley
ncotb

Post by ncotb »

Good luck Chris, look forward to hearing how it went on your return :)
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Thanks for all your supportive messages. An epic journey it was as well! Very difficult to navigate a big trailer through their little town roads and look for signposts as well. Only went wrong once and had to drive 5 miles to find an area to turn round in -this was at 3.00 am.

34 hours with what appeared to be a trailer well over my towing capacity and a fully laden van as well. The little engine worked hard but was very thirsty at 25mpg. So thirsty that I ran out of fuel money. Noticed the power reduces with high ambient temperatures as well -never pushed it to its limits before. At times I was only able to do 35 mph.

3 solid dawn to dusk days and later, until the lantern went out! Now have 5 coops with 4 runs in place. Two more go on the next trip. The colour is perfect and they are nearly invisible in the trees -photos to follow when we get our internet connection over there and I get used to this Mac laptop. BT have messed up and locked out the PC 7 days too early by accessing the software, but haven't been able to invade this machine.

New route was taken on the return and travelling time reduced to 18 hours -don't tell the vet.

Still haven't put the ventilation in the van roof because the fan unit arrived without assembly screws! It will be switched over to a separate battery whilst stationary because the drain on the van is too high.

Wonderful place. The battle will be with the extremes of temperature. 43 degrees C two weeks ago and -12 to -18 degrees for two weeks last winter.

Still waiting for the export paperwork. But we will be ready to leave on the 6th and will drive in shifts stopping for fuel and changeovers only. If the ferry leaves on time [it was 3 hours late when I came back] we will leave here 9.00pm and arrive there at 3.00pm.

My next post will be from our new home in about a month -or when they connect our phone line.
tygrysek75

Post by tygrysek75 »

Hi Chris,I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.I was to coming back yesterday and was stuck in traffic for 2 h to get to the port and afterwoods ferry was late,sailing time was at 21.45 but actually we left at midnight.
It looks like the biggest hurdle is over for you the socond jurney will be with all the birds.I cant wait to see the pictures from you new home.Fingers crossed for the rest of relocation.
Aparently if the line is long for the port you can drive thruu town and get in without wait.
The older I get the older old is.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Withdrawal symptoms for a week were bad enough - no posts for a month! What'll I do without being able to read all your good advice?

Hope the export paperwork turns up in good time and all goes well on the next trip.

keeping my fingers crossed.
Philcott

Post by Philcott »

So pleased that the trip went without too much of a hassle for you. Yikes - your fuel consumption! Sounds like it was a real adventure - and one which I am sure you are glad is over!

Take care, travel safe and look forward to your photos when you find time.

Your brown leghorn babies are all grown up and look as though their combs are begining to redden up! Maybe, just maybe, I might get an egg or two out of them before the winter!
Breed Registrar for Autosexing Poultry on behalf of the Rare Poultry Society.
www.autosexing-poultry.co.uk
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

All the best Chris, hope it all goes smoothly from here on.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

I've just spent two hours posting the story of our trip and on submission I've been told I can't post without logging in. So I've logged in again and the post has gone !!!!!

Not typing it all again so to summarise:-

Took 21 hours to get here.

One hen was killed by the landlords dogs on arrival. Rest are fine.

Still worth it!
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

If you're still online Chris you could try going back pages to where you were posting the story. I've done that when I've returned to a forum page to check something in the middle of a quick reply. In that instance if I use the browser back facility and then click on "quick reply" what I've typed reappears.

Sorry to hear about the killing of your hen.
tygrysek75

Post by tygrysek75 »

Chris,so sorry to hear that one of your hens was killed soon after arrival,what a pity all this travelling and pore chike lost her life.Is your landlore live very close to you?Do you expecting more troubles from his dog?
The older I get the older old is.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”