Our Mobile Coops

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: Our Mobile Coops

Postby KittyKat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Wouldn't aluminium perches be rather cold on their feet in winter? I heard that cold flooring can encourage arthritis in humans, so I wouldn't be surprised if chickens would also be affected. Granted that the perch would warm up quickly, but I imagine that it would leach heat through their feet for the whole night as aluminium is such a bad insulator.
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby chickenfan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:48 am

Not only the coop, but the covered run looks excellent too. What a lovely place you have for birds!
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby chrismahon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:10 am

Thank you Chickensfan. There are only two Buff Orpingtons in it now and one of those is a French one, not a hen we exported. We use scaffolding debris sheeting for the roof of the runs. It is a clear plastic with very heavy glass fibre reinforcement -definitely fox proof. Problem is in the heat and sunshine here it only lasts two years.

To answer KittyKat. I certainly wouldn't use Aluminium for a perch for the reasons you point out. You have to be careful with it in freezing temperatures as well -we have a treadle feeder with an aluminium base and I worry about chickens feet sticking to it. As the base of a coop it would have to be very well covered in bedding.
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby kenedy » Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Great post you have shared.well done.
Newcomer / Hatchling

Return to General Chickens Forum