Our Mobile Coops

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: Our Mobile Coops

Postby Wrigley62 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 pm

WOW!! That is an AWESOME COOP!! I would love a copy of your plans.

Wrigley
Wrigley62
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby chrismahon » Mon May 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks Wrigley. Unfortunately I don't have plans for this one. I designed it on a couple of pieces of scrap paper as a 1 off and just started cutting and nailing. Takes about 30 hours to make plans for repeat builds -the MK4 at the beginning runs to about 20 pages and they are not as detailed as they should be. So much changes if the timber stock sizes change though.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Wrigley62 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 pm

I understand Chris, I did the same thing with mine. I just started jotting things down. I've really never build anything from wood.
You spend alot of time in the "planning stage" and it shows. You should be very proud of your work.

Take care,

Wrigley
Wrigley62
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Richard722 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 pm

good job that is class mate....
Richard722
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby chrismahon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks Richard. I've had a change of plan with the French coops as these are too big for small numbers really and take more time than I have left to build. By redesigning the perches to occupy most of the floor space they could take up to 20 hens. They will be used as coops for 12 -30 weeks old.

We need at least 3 units for a cock and up to 5 hens so I've designed what I've called 'Breeding Coops' which will take our standard runs. They are in between floor level 'Rearing units' (for broodies or chicks), of which I built 4 two years ago, and our mobile coops. Look very ordinary, but technically were a real challenge because being small everything gets in the way of everything else when you put it together. The pop-hole is tall for a cockerel and the twin nest boxes are large as well. First has just been finished and the second is close behind. Parts for the third have been made and I have most of the hardware for another 3. As soon as the first 3 are finished and the creosote is drying I will start on the runs and steps. The last 3 will be built in France.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Bigaxe » Sun May 05, 2013 4:54 pm

looks good but have you had any problems with the wind? looks like they may blow over
Bigaxe
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby chrismahon » Mon May 06, 2013 5:08 am

I was worried about that as well Bigaxe. Thought about tying them down, but they are very heavy and none has ever blown over. Where we lived in the UK was quite windswept to the extent that the greenhouse blew off the base several times, but the coops were fine.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Lynette » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 pm

I think it looks amazing. I wished I had your creative and technical skills so I could have made a new coop rather than having to buy one.
Lynette
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby chrismahon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 am

Time is always a problem Lynette. Then there is finding space to assemble and paint and trying to buy good materials became increasingly difficult. Even the hardware supplier went 'cheap' on me, so the latches and hinges are just electroplated, not hot dip galvanised. Guess I will have to buy next time as every house we have looked at over here needs major work in a hurry. Unless you are building a lot of stuff the tools cost far more than coops as well.

Just finished a bantam coop (started last year in UK) using materials brought with us. Paint here is excellent quality but 4 times the price of Cuprinol Shades. So I bought some back with me in a 'rich cherry' colour for a bit of a change. Looks really nice when dry, but rather too red when wet which had me worried. Think the proper name for it is 'burgundy'.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Lynette » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Sounds lovely. Do you have some pictures?

Time is something I just don't have.
Lynette
Forum Contributor / Grower

PreviousNext

Return to General Chickens Forum