chicken activities

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

chicken activities

Postby clucking chicks » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Please can anyone suggest some ideas to keep my chickens occupied and stop them getting bored in their run?
I have tried hanging CD's and cabbages / lettuces for them to peck at but they really are not interested. They love dust baths and scratching around but any other ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks!
clucking chicks
Forum Contributor / Grower

chicken activities

Postby Jessuk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:29 pm

We built them a tower so they can get up high and put loads of branches coming off. Then we hang treats or put some at the top so they have to climb about. Mine seem to enjoy it :)
Jessuk

Re: chicken activities

Postby Chuck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Something to climb on and additional perches. Some seem to be entertainable, others no. If they are not doing any harm to one another, they still will be having a much better life than in a battery cage.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Postby chrismahon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:49 am

I hung a red cabbage up once. When I went back an hour later they were all stood around the edge of the run just staring at it. Think they thought it was a dead something! I removed it and replaced it with a green cabbage which they ate. They won't touch lettuce or carrots.
Try feeding them mash sometimes instead of pellets. The little bits keep them occupied as it takes so much longer to peck up enough to fill them. Ours prefer mash to pellets but it is a bit time consuming to prepare.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby henry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:29 pm

I stuck a large mirror in with them, which is an idea i got from Chester zoo, they put the mirror in with the flamingos so they think they are a large flock, the chickens just could not work out where the others went when they looked around the side.
Pete
henry

Postby Bramax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:22 pm

I too am looking for ways to keep my girls entertained as winter approaches and they are spending more time confined to the run, which is now standing on paving slabs and bark and they don't have grass to scratch around in anymore.

I tried a CD, they paid no attention to it whatsoever. I tried hanging broccoli. It didn't keep them amused for long, the heads had gone with in a couple of hours and then they got the stem off the string and finished that off in not very long! I am thinking about getting one of those peck block things, but don't know if it's worth the money, I guess the only way to find out how long it'll last my four, is to buy one and see! I saw one website selling chicken boredom buster packs that contains cuttlefish bone. I'd never of thought of giving that to chickens, I'd have thought it would contain too much salt unless pet shops remove the salt before they sell them. We are also in the process of covering part of the run so that we can make them a bigger dust bath.
Bramax

Postby tygrysek75 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:16 pm

I have bought one a peck block but my chickens not interested in it. :|
The older I get the older old is.
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby mightymohan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:06 pm

you can give them layers mash dry, takes alot longer for them to get their fill so keeps them busy.
mightymohan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby clucking chicks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:59 pm

My very kind neighbour gave me 2 huge home grown lettuces that had bolted and my girls spent the morning pecking at them, tearing them to shreds and ripping them appart. Not much left tonight but 2 very happy girlies!!
clucking chicks

Postby Marigold » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:55 pm

They will have enjoyed this, but watch out for runny poos tomorrow! I find if i give mine more greenstuff than they are used to, it can have unfortunate effects on the bowels. Also, if they're filling up on loads of greens thery haven't got any room left for their nice nourishing pellets. They won't have come to any harm from their lettuce binge, but maybe next time, save some for the next day or two!
Marigold

Next

Return to General Chickens Forum