New hen laid egg in run

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

New hen laid egg in run

Post by Sue »

One of my new hens (approx. 20 wks) has laid an egg out in the main run tonight, just before bedtime. This is the first one she's laid. Is this because she's not sure where to lay it, or did it just take her by surprise!! It did me as I didn't expect them to starting laying yet! Should I be doing anything, or will she learn what to do eventually? Not really sure what I could do anyway!
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
bantiekeeper

Re: New hen laid egg in run

Post by bantiekeeper »

This has happened with my dotte bantams now and again. I do not think it anything to worry about. They will get the message eventually. More experienced keepers will be along to advise if I have got this wrong.
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

She has probably farted and followed thru :-) (kidding!)
Most girls right themselves Do they share a house with older girls that they can learn from?
The only thing I did when my girls first started laying was keep them in a bit longer in the morning so she wasn't dropping eggs all over the garden
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck »

Chances are she'll find the nest box and use it but it may take some time. Usually they explore the nest boxes and do some trial sitting before they start to lay.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
E3lx

Post by E3lx »

agree, with chuck, she will soon find the nest box, and should start laying normally
You will never know
Unless you give it a go!!!

http://enisrarebreedchickens.wura.co.uk

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”