Building a new run

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Marigold

Re: Building a new run

Post by Marigold » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 pm

If it stopped her eating snails it would be a good thing, as snails slugs and earthworms are hosts to the eggs of chicken worms. I haven't used beak bits on my birds as so far I haven't needed to, but if I had a bad pecking problem I would take the advice of those who had tried them and give them a go. I have heard lots of people say they work, and nobody has said their chicken starved!
Whilst she is separate, it would be best if she could still see the others through the mesh, so not totally out of it.
Castara
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Castara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm

On A lighter note :D , These boredom blocks , although good are rather expensive , And I think with the problems we've had were gonna need a few . so bit a web reserch and I fumbled up a recipe tried them last night
Took about 2 cups a pellets and soaked um , till they was soggy .
Then added some wild bird food (various seeds and peas?)and some regular scratch and some sun flower hearts and a few raisins , .as for proportions just keep adding handfuls and mixing in till it looks like the shop bought ones
The add an egg white and a little plane flour, mixed it all up into a soggy goo , It should be slightly sticky , if it aint you may need another egg white.
Then I got a skewer and bent in double, I can use that again . ( you could use galvinised wire maybe?)
I molded the mix around the skewer on a piece of oiled greased proof paper and warped it up tight , twisting the ends to get it firm .
Then on a bakin tray and in the oven at 200 deg for 15 min , then down to 50 for 1/2 hour ,
Pell the paper off while there still warm and cool over night on a wire rack , They harden off over night.
The bird food was £1 a big bag as were the sunflowers . a couple a pence worth of pellets and scratch . Made 2 for about 35p each and the birds dont seem to mind ;)
I'll see how they are in the middle, may increase the low heat cooking time if they haven't hardened all the way through , As for other ingredients , maybe some meal worms but they may cook to nothing ,
Attachments
APDC1584 (480x640) (225x300).jpg
No complaints
APDC1584 (480x640) (225x300).jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 11199 times
APDC1583 (225x300).jpg
The home made version 35p
APDC1583 (225x300).jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 11199 times
Castara

Post by Castara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Marigold wrote:If it stopped her eating snails it would be a good thing, as snails slugs and earthworms are hosts to the eggs of chicken worms. I haven't used beak bits on my birds as so far I haven't needed to, but if I had a bad pecking problem I would take the advice of those who had tried them and give them a go. I have heard lots of people say they work, and nobody has said their chicken starved!
Whilst she is separate, it would be best if she could still see the others through the mesh, so not totally out of it.
Thanks Marigold , I didnt know that about the worms :shock:
As far as the beak bits , every body has different opinions on whats right/humane etc. without trying to sound to wooly , we've got to find whats right for us to live with, and to be honest the idea of long term use of the bits dosen't appeal to me much, and I'm un- dissided if it came to it , as to weather a flighty and active bird such as we have might be better suited to a bigger space and established flock were she would be less confined than our little run . I'm pretty sure over zealous pecking is a result of lack of space primarily, both for the aggressor and the victim . I know this is the case with humans, That's why I gave up on politics and religion and decided the only way to make people happy was by changing they spaces they inhabit. Rows seldom start in comfy chairs, :lol:
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Our little Molly has gone broody with the Bumpa bit in. That's how not bothered she is about it Castara. I would never fit the standard types. I intend to order more for use in France and wish I had discovered the things years ago.

Apply Stockholm Tar with a cotton bud for minimum mess. It needs stirring beforehand as the thick stuff at the bottom needs to go on. Trouble comes when the poor birds try to preen. It gets stuck to their beaks and over their feathers until it dries, which takes several hours. We only use it on cockerels combs.
Castara

Post by Castara » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Hey All, Still here . Busy with life things and no internet for a while (cheers Virgin) . But I still got the chooks But its been an adventure , It will take a few posts to bring the thread up to speed , so bear with me :D
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 pm

How's it going, Castara? Has Leia chilled & outgrown the "teenage grumps"?
How are the other two?
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 am

Oh I do like the way you have panels of corrugated that can be fitted to the sides so easily. I haven't seen that before... I do the same with a plank of wood on one of my coops to reduce a rather large ventilation hole I have but have never thought of doing it with corrugated...

Yes, as mentioned above, bark should be avoided due to the mould spores which can cause respiratory problems and Aspergillosis. Wood chips can be used though, just not bark chips.
SpoilMyPooch
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by SpoilMyPooch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 pm

What to put on the base of your run is a difficult choice. If you have paving stones already then maybe leave them in place. Drainage is a huge issue particularly when we have had (and will continue to get) so much rain. In my experience everything quickly turns to mud, no matter how hard you try and then it becomes a problem to clean the mud...
animartco

Post by animartco » Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Oh the pictures look lovely but I am worried about the concrete base. I have a small broody pen which I put a solid base under so that rats couldn't get underneath, but then I found that the soil layer on top was permanently waterlogged, and it didn't improve no matter how high I built it. I think it might be a good idea to lift the slabs in the middle just so that the pen can drain.
miless2111s
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by miless2111s » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 am

Castara wrote:Run taking shape
I'm only half way through this brilliant build thread but I thought I'd ask a question before I forget it... why did you build a back wall to your run (i.e. the screen frames) - why not use the brick wall as the back wall?

I ask as I plan to do just this and wonder if I've missed something important in my plans :)

Thanks

Miles

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”