What are the rarest breeds of poultry and domestic waterfowl

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: What are the rarest breeds of poultry and domestic water

Postby darkbrowneggs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Wow - that is the blackest bird I have ever seen!

Someone asked me to post some photos of the African Geese and Rouen - so here goes
Attachments
rouen duck.jpg
rouen duck.jpg (79.71 KiB) Viewed 387 times
rouen drake.jpg
rouen drake.jpg (77.85 KiB) Viewed 387 times
african geese2.jpg
african geese2.jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 387 times
If you want to follow my travel journal see
www.theworldismylobster.org.uk
darkbrowneggs
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Black Raven » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:46 am

That cockerel is amazing! We are off on holiday near Kippford in Oct. I bet all the shows will be over by then. Loving the Rouens and the geese too. :D
Black Raven

Postby E3lx » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:19 pm

New Hampshire Red chickens?
I wanted to breed them, but I could'nt find anywhere that sold them. Dont know how rare rare is though
You will never know
Unless you give it a go!!!

http://enisrarebreedchickens.wura.co.uk
E3lx

Postby animartco » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:21 pm

chrismahon wrote:Went to Ashby show and met Ruth Dalton, the RBST Field Officer for the North. She gave us a leaflet called 'Poultry Breeds at Risk' which seems to list most of the established Pedigree breeds anyway. Even Buff Orpingtons are listed as are the aforementioned two. Marsh Daisys are listed, but the last few years has seen a brisk trade in hatching eggs so I wouldn't say they were rare now. The Marsh Daisy Club has even started to breed odd variations with some significant original traits missing or reduced. If you do help a rare breed I believe you need to be sure that you are working with the original strain and not some modern show variation. Orpingtons were a Utility breed but many have lost their egg laying capacity in the quest for better colouration and characteristics for show. We are trying to recover Blue laced Wyandotte's utility characteristcs for our own benefit but realistically we should go back to the Original White variety. It seems that the blue lacing brings with it some strange character disorders and the least blue we have lay the best and are the nicest natured. So I suppose what I am saying is what does rare mean? Is it few numbers of birds in total or few original breeding strains remaining. Perhaps someone has given this issue more thought than me and has some better ideas?

Hi Chris. Yes before I looked into it I was thinking, get a rare breeed and breed it on true to standard, and sell them and try to make it less rare. What a noble thing to do. But I don't know it very seldom seems to happen that way. Standards change SO easily! There are loads of breeds, perhaps most of the older ones, that if I turned up at a show with the true macoy original breed, it would be chucked out as not conforming! I wish there was a way of setting standards more rigorously in older breeds, before they disappear completely. For modern breeds of course it doesn't matter so much. They don't have such valuable genetic history.
animartco

Postby chrismahon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Seems to me that the really rare breeds are those that have still got their Utility characteristics fairly intact. There are a few breeders that use the show standards as a rough guideline but put Utility at the top of the list and I would say those are the people to talk to. No they won't win shows but they will lay fairly well, live a long time and make good table birds. Of course there is also the 'pet' factor. Are they nice natured and inherently less stressed and therefore less prone to problems or too highly strung?
We'll carry on with our Wyandottes and see what happens. So far the ones remaining are fairly placid but we have still got the odd nutter (they have been fitted with bright orange leg tags) that we won't breed from.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Previous

Return to General Chickens Forum