Brahma sexing

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Brahma sexing

Postby mallorr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi my brahma is about 9mths old now.She is supposed to be a hen but today ive just caught her mounting my little pekin.when she come off her notice the feathers on back of neck were up as well.Have we got a cockeral .Although he,she is not noisy yet but i know they are not very noisy birds anyway and take time to mature.Can someone help.
mallorr
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Brahma sexing

Postby clairethebear » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Don't know much about Brahmas but some of my Pekins and Wyandottes sometimes assert themselves by jumping on lower members of the pecking order. They jump on the other so it submits and puts its head down. When the cockeral jumps on it is totally different (I won,t go into exact details :lol: ). Also, shouldn't your 9 month old have a large comb and look bigger than the hens? There are Brahma breeders on this forum so maybe they would know more.......................
clairethebear
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby ncotb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 am

I got a brahma bantam that is now a boy. No obvious feathering etc before, started crowing 2 weeks ago. I have 2 older girls also & there wasnt much difference. He was bred by a lovely lady who has had brahmas LF & bantam for years. Hes about 7 months & now is looking like a boy.

If anyone wants him?????? cant keep as have 6 other boys & 2 girls are his sisters. see chickens for sale
ncotb

Postby victorias poultry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

I have buff columbian brahams (bantams) they are very slow developers. You can normally tell the sex at around 26 - 28 weeks.
victorias poultry

Postby mightymohan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 pm

i think a picture would be best way to tell. but if its a large brahma cockerel i would move him from the pen as its not really fair if he is mating with a pekin hen. as he probably weighs about 7 or 8 times as much.
mightymohan

Postby daniellesdogs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:02 pm

iv a lemon brahma Lf and i think its a girl but would love to know for def. not full grown yet has no tail iv not seen any mounting she is so plasid and dozy when she was knocked down by bantams other day just lay there to finish eating. the bantams sit under her wings to keep warm same age but full grown (hoping this is broody tendensies)
daniellesdogs

Postby kelloggs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 am

If you post a pics of you brahma mallorr I'll see if I can help , or email me if its easier ;)
I find lemons the hardest to sex but you should have a good idea by at least four months,
buff columbians can also be a little tricky but you should find slightly orangy saddle feathers on a cockerel by around 14 weeks but at nine months you would know it was a cockerel as they can get rather large.
http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/
kelloggs

Return to General Chickens Forum