Small black jumping flies

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

angela.anderson
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Small black jumping flies

Post by angela.anderson » Thu May 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Do red mites fly as these things have wings and fly and hop around!
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Thu May 31, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi Angela,
Red mite look like this
red-mite-clump.jpg
red-mite-clump.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 193 times
They a 8 legged and don't have wings. They cant jump, just crawl. They are very small - just look like big dust without a magnifying glass.
I think the flies are just flies - cant think of any small flies that would be a problem to chickens so they just happen to be around.
The blood smears that are a sign of red mite are when groups like above are crushed - typically this is a sign of them when found and crushed rather than being something that just happens. Generally they hid in cracks and under objects like mats or at gaps at the ends of perches waiting for nightfall to bite the hens when they are roosting and defenseless. In nature they hide under tree bark flakes and crevices awaiting a roosting bird and can wait a very long time for a meal and a chance to breed. In a coop they have an ideal situation as the hens cant choose to roost elsewhere an the mite population explodes.
Of course, you could have the flies and mite around. Put a small mat of rubber or a rough sided piece of wood in the coop near the perches and see if they show up under it. If they don't, you probably don't have any.
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 am

They're only red when they've been feeding, the rest of the time they are grey and look just like specks of dust. I bought a secondhand wooden hen-house which had not had any birds in it for about six months. When I removed a drawing pin that was stuck in the frame about 15 -20 'orrible little grey things came out from under it and were rapidly squished by my thumb. Fortunately the house was bought for isolation purposes so I had plenty of time to give it a couple of "flood coats" of creosote. It was amazing how many of the little horrors literally crept out of the woodwork! Thankfully I managed to eradicate them from that house.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 am

Yes I agree with Rick, these don’t sound like red mite because they don’t fly or hop. They just crawl. But I would say there are also red mite in there if you are squishing mites and seeing blood...

Any sort of fly shouldn’t be a problem to them. You can get flies being attracted by droppings in warm weather.

If they are troubling you, I would look to disinfecting the coop.

For red mite, again, disinfect the coop and choose your weapon! There are many different red mite treatments - because they are very hard to eradicate, it’s usually an ongoing battle because a small number of mites quickly turn into a lot more!

They are only a problem during warm weather.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
angela.anderson
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by angela.anderson » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Ok thanks for the advice, Im going to try disinfect the coop and treat for both flies and red mites!

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”