Sablepoot/Booted Bantam

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Sablepoot/Booted Bantam

Postby bridgemontbelle » Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi,
Are Booted Bantams and Sablepoots the same bird?
The one I'm thinking of looks like he/she has a beard.
Thanks.
Liz
bridgemontbelle

Re: Sablepoot/Booted Bantam

Postby victorias poultry » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Sablepoots are commonly known as booted bantams, they are sometimes mistaken for barbu duccles which have beards and are not the same as sablepoots.
Sablepoots are very placid birds and good layers
victorias poultry

Postby elmwood » Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 am

Hi Liz,

As VP says D'uccles have a beard- something we didn't realise when we were offered our Tillie whom we understood to be a sablepoot. It wasn't until we sourced a second sablepoot that we were informed Tillie was a d'uccle. Are you thinking of having one?

Our sablepoot, is as VP says extremely laid back, any excuse to sit down and chill..... whereas our D'uccle is hyperactive, but the most adorable and loving little bird. She never sits, and doesn't go home to roost at night. We literally have to put her to bed! In fact they are both little monkeys. The Pekins go off in their own house and leave the little girls to it......

Heres a few photos of Tillie-(D'uccle) & Millie- (fleur) Sablepoot so you can compare.

DSCF1029.JPG
Tillie D'Uccle- bearded
DSCF1029.JPG (68.5 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

DSCF1027.JPG
Tillie - close up
DSCF1027.JPG (69.65 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

DSCF1005.JPG
The crew- minus broody Lavender
DSCF1005.JPG (85.35 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
elmwood
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bridgemontbelle » Thu May 20, 2010 8:09 am

Sharron,
I thought of you when I was asking the question.
I am think of having him/her if he turns out to be a hen. S/he's lavender, which I don't thin is a coolur for the sablepoots, is it?, so perhaps he is a Belgian?

My friend, also a Sharon, was given 2, different ages, and isn't reallyt interested in them, being a pekin nut, so I thought I'd give them a home, but we don't know what they are or how old - we'll have to wait and see. The oldest is about 8 weeks and has definitely developed a beard, but we don't know enogh to sex them yet.

There were no pics attached to your post above, so I'll search on the pics forum and You Tube to refresh my menory as to what the two breeds look like.

Thanks.
x
bridgemontbelle

Postby bridgemontbelle » Thu May 20, 2010 8:10 am

OOOhhh,
the pics have just turned up.
Many thanks.
xxx
bridgemontbelle

Postby bridgemontbelle » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 am

Yep, I think she's a D'Uccle.
How exciting.
bridgemontbelle

Postby elmwood » Thu May 20, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Liz,

How lovely. It would be good to hear if you decide to have him/her? Despite our best efforts in researching the breed, we havn't really come up with a great deal.

Ours is so friendly, right from day 1 she has run to each of us, and loves to be held or happily sits on your shoulder. She is so regal /majestic looking but then when she is running around the garden at break neck speed she is so comical. She did however have such a terrible time of it with the pekins at first- she was very submissive and they bullied her something awful. BUT now they all get along ok. She and her sister Millie both sleep in a seperate house, which is something we didn't consider when we first had her. Under no circumstances will the Pekins let them go in their established house.......even after all these weeks.

She seems to lay all over the place, rarely in her own 5* abode! Unlike the Pekins she is all done in around 15 mins. We reckon its because she can't bare to be missing out on the others antics. She is a very busy girl, an absolute joy, and she complements the placid sablepoot nicely. Also a lot easier to spot for crawlies etc.....with so much less fluff.

She is a Porcelain Lavender- which is apparently rare? We had her from Susie, she was a one off....

Do keep us posted........Sharron
elmwood
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bridgemontbelle » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 am

Hi,
These birds are a definite lavender, like a pekin, which is why I fancied them, so I keeping my fingers crossed for them turning out to be girls.
bridgemontbelle

Postby victorias poultry » Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm

You can get sablepoots in around 18 colours! Lavender is one of the colours, here is a pic of some of the lavender sablepoots
Attachments
036 (1024x768).jpg
(275.75 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
victorias poultry

Postby bridgemontbelle » Thu May 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks for the pic, Sue, they look gorgeous.
bridgemontbelle

Next

Return to General Chickens Forum