8wk old broiler chicken rescue- help please

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Mamachook76
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: 8wk old broiler chicken rescue- help please

Post by Mamachook76 »

Farmer assured me she is a she - one of my first questions when he gave me her. He didn’t have any other chooks which were suitable for saving - prolly means they were really weedy.
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

I don't have anything to contribute. I just wanted to say she's a pretty little bird and her legs look quite strong at the moment. Hope she does OK.
Mamachook76
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Mamachook76 »

Thankyou Diane fair hall. X
Mamachook76
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Mamachook76 »

Joust wondering anybody got any thoughts on how long I should quarantine her for? She’s wandering round my garden under my supervision and I have a run/hut for her that I’m going set up once I feel better - was intending on putting in rabbit garden rather that the chicken garden at first
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

It’s up to you, but I’d be inclined to get on with settling her down out of doors ASAP. As she’s only 8-9 weeks old and apparently healthy, not sneezing or infested, maybe the welfare advantages to her own health, mobility, integration with the other chickens, and acclimatisation to outdoor temperatures, will outweigh the possible risk to the others of any infection or contagion. Presumably she’ll be sleeping in her own hut, at least for a while, so not actually in very close contact with the others for the hours on end overnight?
If you leave it much longer, the temperatures will drop especially overnight, and it’ll be more difficult for her to make the change.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

We have taken on broilers and it was a very pleasant surprise. Very placid in nature and eventually laid huge eggs, but with very thin shells. Broilers here are normally are slaughtered at 14 to 16 weeks, so at 16 weeks we only had 5 to wait. Broilers free range from the start because the French don't want mushy stick your teeth together chicken meat, they want some fibre to it and are prepared to pay: It's expensive to rear them, so at least 5m2 free ranging each leads to a supermarket price of €12 (£11) for a 2Kg chicken.

Not sure how much help I can be here Mamachook, because we are talking about completely different breeds. I think Sasso and Hubbards have half that life. But ours do get too hot and we have extra vents in the apex of the coop roof and keep the pop-hole open all year. They are very powerful birds and weigh 6Kg plus each. One wing flap and a leap gets that weight onto the 4' run roof. We didn't restrict their food, but they have 50m2 each free ranging and run about collecting scattered grain. We were worried that they would just sit, eat and get fat, but they love running about and so haven't. They eat double a normal laying hen, so you won't make a profit from the eggs.

Love to hear how 'she' gets on.The cockerels at that age will have much longer legs. Expect a house chicken will be the result because even though they are huge, their placid nature could see them bullied.
Mamachook76
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Mamachook76 »

A wee update for those who are interested. Sunday has intergrated with my other chickens , and after a few altercation with the others now shares a house with them. It’s hilarious to watch this massive chicken cuddle up with her bantam buddies. She still comes to me for cuddles and attention and as been know to steal my cuppa when I’m not looking.

:D
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Lovely to hear how she's doing.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Excellent news! I’d love to see some photos. If you’re not sure how to do this, see this link:
viewtopic.php?t=11259
Mamachook76
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Mamachook76 »

Struggling to upload pics, files are too big 😥

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”