The eggs are diminishing

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

rick

The eggs are diminishing

Post by rick »

Down to one layer I think. Well Lulu may still be working the nest box but is looking very pale in the comb. Pom was the first to throw in the towel and start shedding feathers a couple of weeks ago. It will be good to have them all safely off lay for the year but it is such a long eggless time ahead!
Marigold

Re: The eggs are diminishing

Post by Marigold »

How old are they now Rick? My new pullets are now about 23 weeks. One is laying a small egg every day, one has been crouching for over a week but nothing yet, and the other two don’t seem to be making much progress. So I expect two of them should make it into proper lay before the days get too short, but I’m wondering about the others.
We are enjoying our little gourmet 45gram boiled egg each, with home made toast, every second day, for breakfast, though. Had forgotten what a difference there is between shop eggs and ‘proper’ ones.
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

We will have had our girls for a year on 1 October when they were POL. They have started the moult, mainly on their necks, but are still producing an egg a day each, even with our short days here in the outer Hebs. Morag misses occasionally but that's normal for her. Not looking forward to buying shop eggs!
rick

Post by rick »

They were young pullets a good month, maybe more, before POL. I remember they were still finishing off a bag of medicated growers when we got them. That must have been early 2018 so they will be coming up to 3 years old. The first winter they stopped laying briefly and hardly moulted at all. Last year was feathers everywhere and at least 3 months off. I think it wasn't till March this year we got the first egg.
Those first pullet eggs are almost too cute to eat - almost!
With these CLBs its like 'Hey I'm moulting - not laying - check the contract!' (inc. generous annual holiday entitlement.)
It always amazes me that they wait for the first frost and chilly winds before throwing off half their clothes!
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Three eggs again here today. I assumed that as the days are shortening quite rapidly they would be slowing down now. They have been such good layers all year and I think they deserve their rest now. They don't seem to agree.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

rick wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am
With these CLBs its like 'Hey I'm moulting - not laying - check the contract!' (inc. generous annual holiday entitlement.)
That sounds just like my CLB, Tufty! She's shed about 3 feathers per day for the last few days, so that's the last of our blue eggs until March...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

dianefairhall wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 pm
Three eggs again here today. I assumed that as the days are shortening quite rapidly they would be slowing down now. They have been such good layers all year and I think they deserve their rest now. They don't seem to agree.
I would expect your one-year-old hybrids to lay through their second winter, as they didn’t start until this Spring - and to lay all next summer and then stop and have a proper moult next Autumn. (That would be the point at which they would be for the chop unless lucky enough to become exbatts....)
rick

Post by rick »

The only thing that will keep them in lay when they would otherwise stop is enough artificial light bouncing around to extend the day length but that's probably irrelevant with any hen that is a reasonable layer (when in lay) and under 18 months. They might still almost come to a standstill when it gets properly cold and dark at 4:30 Diane (Ugh! Not looking forward to that!)
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

It doesn't get really cold here in the Western Isles, Rick. It was colder in Yorkshire. We get overnight frosts but they soon disappear and very little snow. It's the strong winds that give the chill factor. I even got an egg on Xmas day last year ( from Izzie, the only one laying then).
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I thought for a moment that you were going to say that (in the wind) poor Izzie laid the same egg four times :-)
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”