Cluck and collect

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Marigold

Cluck and collect

Post by Marigold »

Today’s cheering story - for some of them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53832858
Margaid

Re: Cluck and collect

Post by Margaid »

I saw that and was a bit bothered about the rosy picture painted about chicken keeping especially as the hens pictured weren't ex-batts about to be rehomed. It's not quite the same as rescuing a kitten or a puppy! Hopefully a lot of people will enjoy their own eggs so much that they will care for the hens.
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sandrine »

It is also a bit worrying when they mention people sending in photos from the internet, or photoshoped... makes me wonder if these people were more bothered about getting eggs rather than roast chicken.... 🤔
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

They'll be disappointed if they try roasting an ex-batt... Commercial laying hens have been carefully bred to turn layers' pellets into eggs, not into plump chicken! There won't be much meat on them.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

And if they’re two or more years old, very tough, compared with an 8-week-old specially bred commercial broiler!
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sandrine »

Well we know that... But would they?
In any case you just got to wonder why go to those lengths?
I was watching a documentary the other day on depression and certain clinical trials for certain types of drugs. Anyway.. one of the patients kept chickens, cockerels, geese, ducks I think too.... And the mess and tiny coop/run they kept them him.... I was actually shocked... Hubby and I ended up talking about that distractedly and not the documentary topic, so actually missed part of what was said and had to rewind 😂😂
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Depression can make everything feel like a mammoth task, easier to put off than to tackle. That would include cleaning the coop & run.

Managing to make yourself get out there and do it leads to a great feeling of achievement, but when you're in a long, dark & seemingly endless tunnel, it can be tough to get up, washed & dressed, never mind tackling chores...

I used to tell myself that it counts double if you didn't feel like doing something but you made yourself do it...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”