The old virus overcomes me.

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: The old virus overcomes me.

Post by Sandrine »

I meant to say also that I wish my girls would play a similar trick to my border collie Suzie... Her herding instincts are too strong for her to give up on the chickens so easily lol even if they know to ignore her now too. She's managed to get in the run a couple times when the catch wasn't put on quite right (I need to find a better one actually), rounded them all out of the coop, only to round them all back in... Some aren't bothered and just go back in as soon as they can, the others are almost defiant and give a bit more of a challenge... Lol
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Your little Dodo looks lovely, Sandrine. Like my Willow, obviously a Cream Legbar cross of some kind, I do like them, especially those dinky little hats. Your memory of Dodo looking after a friend reminded me of Nutmeg, a pure CLB, Marigold’s friend. I got both of them as chicks and they grew up together, with Nutmeg obviously the brighter of the two, though less than half the size of a Buff Sussex. She always told Marigold what to do and where to go for the best chance of a treat, and she got as upset as Marigold when they were separated because Marigold had gone broody yet again. Being purebred CLB, Nutmeg laid beautiful blue eggs but I expect Willow to lay greenish ones, being allegedly a CLB X Marans cross.

Last night, all four were on the high perch, none in the coop. Three cuddled up at one end and Piper all on her own at the other. I don’t know if it was something she said, or what!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine »

Ahaha Well I do hope they have not fallen out already 😊
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Love your new chucks, Marigold. :-)
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Three little maids from school are we ....
032C5986-4FA6-4373-8358-3D6EC583D5F8.jpeg
032C5986-4FA6-4373-8358-3D6EC583D5F8.jpeg (177.84 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

“It’s bedtime, and we’re pretending this is a tree. The view is better up here. ”
FA8B551C-1E2E-4186-8419-B4571A070BAD.jpeg
FA8B551C-1E2E-4186-8419-B4571A070BAD.jpeg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 221 times
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

They're lovely, so different. I'm afraid our supplier, the Hen man of Skye, is quite conservative with his available hens - or I suppose I should say the Islanders who buy them are!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Willow, on the right, was so fast asleep by 7.45 that I had to poke her up the bum to get her to raise her head for the photo.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Willow sounds like my Light Sussex, who is always asleep by then. They look a nice bunch
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

At that stage of development, before they grow their combs, they look really like dinosaurs when they stretch their necks out.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”