How to get bigger eggs

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Marigold

Re: How to get bigger eggs

Post by Marigold » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:58 pm

So what brand of pellets were they on, and what have you now changed to?
henboy
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by henboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:52 pm

I can't remember as they were from local farm shop and I empty into drums , do you recommend any
henboy

Post by henboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 pm

I was on bata own brand for a while
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:01 pm

There's a long thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10525 from last year, where we discussed the merits of various brands. I do think you get out what you put in, by way of egg quality, but I'm not sure about the connection with size. Any bag of pellets will have a list of ingredients on it - the lower quality ones will include chemical colourants, soya, and other undesirable additives, but will be much cheaper, even as little as £7.50 per large bag. It might be worth changing to another brand - Allen and Page Smallholder, Marriages, or Garvo are all good., usually contain marigold petals instead of chemical colourants and are made from high quality ingredients. I feed Dodson and Horrell, largely because I can easily get them here, but they're very good and my hens lay well. How much have you got left of the present pellets?
henboy

Post by henboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm

not much I shall see what I can purchase tomorrow better quality
henboy

Post by henboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 pm

ive made a bigger dust bath a week ago which im pretty sure it will keep sand mix in but nothing is going in any tips on this
henboy

Post by henboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 pm

just got some new feed today is this one anygood for hens its called chix layers pellets
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm

I've not heard of that one. Can you do a screenshot or tell us the ingredients? How much was a bagful?

Eg, here re the ingredients for Dodson & Horrel, which I use.

Ingredients. Wheat, Extracted Sunflower, Limestone Flour, Wheatfeed, Dehulled Soya Bean Meal, Distiller's Wheat Grains, Vegetable Oil, Vitamin/Trace Mineral Premix, Diacalcium, Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine, Sodium Bicarbonate, Pumpkin Squash, Broccoli, Spinach, Tomato, Marigold.

And this is the ingredients for Smallholder;
Composition: Wheat, Wheat Feed, Beans, Calcium Carbonate, Linseed, Maize Gluten, Maize, Grass Meal, Peas, Di-calcium Phosphate, Salt, Seaweed, Marigold flowers, Yeast, Fructo-oligosaccharides.

I can't find a complete list of ingredients online for Chix but it should be on the bag.
henboy

Post by henboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 am

https://www.gardenfeathers.co.uk/layers ... ellet.html , hope this works its deli nature chic layers pellets I payed £12 a sack
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:33 pm

I must admit that after being out of regular Dodson pellets and the store not having any in stock, I bought some unbranded ones. After 2 weeks, egg colour was much paler than usual and production wasn't as good, so there is truth in you get what you pay for, as Marigold has stated.
I have also used Marriages and Allen and Page, it depends what the store has availability of.
If people are talking behind your back, then just fart. :-)10

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”