Chicken who's bullying

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

hip chick
Forum Contributor / Grower

Chicken who's bullying

Post by hip chick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi i'm looking for advice please. One of my silkies has started bullying one of the other girls. Not just the odd peck, but actively stopping her from drinking, eating and even stopping her from going into the coop to lay. Its not just the odd peck, its quite a sustained attack when she starts. The other girls are also moving away from food or water when she comes close, although just get an odd peck from her. I,ve isolated the bully in her own coop with attached run, but im just wondering how I move forward with the situation and how long I isolate her for
Marigold

Re: Chicken who's bullying

Post by Marigold » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 pm

I would give it at least a week - during which time the others may have reorganised their flock order so that when she returns, she will have been demoted to 'newcomer' status and will probably get some put-downs herself. If you can place the coop out of sight of the others, the effect will be greater. If things haven't resolved after a week, you will then need to put her back on her own again for another week, and see how it goes.
Why should the others have to put up with a bully? She has brought it on herself!
hip chick
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by hip chick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Marigold, I do feel bad as she's looking very sorry for herself, but the others are definitely happier without her amongst them. They cant see each other from where they are
rick

Post by rick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Hope it breaks her tyrannical behavior - the flock always has to come first.
A visual obstacle on the ground with food and water each side always softens the effect of bullying as the bully cant be both sides of the screen at the same time and they can always escape round the circle - but that is more of an introduction thing.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”