Dithering...good or bad sign?

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Bantams=Banter
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Dithering...good or bad sign?

Post by Bantams=Banter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 pm

Marigold and Mrs Biscuit, I think you're absolutely right...hybrids are the way forward for me! xx
1 x hubby
2 x children
3 x cats
5 x guinea pigs
2 x chickens
Bantams=Banter

Post by Bantams=Banter » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Marigold wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm
i think that, once the initial excitement has worn off, your children will be more likely to go on taking an interest if they can collect eggs every day, and for this you need consistent layers. There's nothing like collecting, cooking and eating your own lovely fresh eggs, it still thrills me to bits after quite a few years, and it was a great way to share and talk to our children when they were little, both when helping with the hens and learning good habits of cooking and eating. Let's face it, picking up the poo and filling the drinkers isn't so interesting as finding treasure in the nestbox, and if you get hens who all lay different coloured eggs, you can talk about who has laid that day, and weigh the eggs and keep a chart to show how many have been laid and how they get bigger as the pullet develops. Hens will get quite tame and can be stroked and handled, but being a prey species they aren't so keen on being cuddled, so children need extra (eggstra?) incentives to keep on interacting with them.
I think my daughter (6) will be the one helping me with my hens, my son (8) isn't particularly interested in any of our animals. Yes, what a good idea to try to get hybrids that lay different coloured eggs! I feel a wall-mounted chart coming on!! :D
1 x hubby
2 x children
3 x cats
5 x guinea pigs
2 x chickens
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Here's my last pic that hybrids are the way to go and my ex battery hen, Barbie-doll :-) and me (today) ... I was warned about "morehen" disease by the wise birds on here and unfortunately I have developed it :? :-)10
Attachments
Tania and Barbie 2 - Edited (1).jpg
Tania and Barbie 2 - Edited (1).jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 176 times
rick

Post by rick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:33 pm

I know a happy hen when I see one but I don't think Ive quite seen one smile like that before!
Bantams=Banter

Post by Bantams=Banter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Tweetypie wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Here's my last pic that hybrids are the way to go and my ex battery hen, Barbie-doll :-) and me (today) ... I was warned about "morehen" disease by the wise birds on here and unfortunately I have developed it :? :-)10
Delightful photo! Such love!! xxx
1 x hubby
2 x children
3 x cats
5 x guinea pigs
2 x chickens
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Bantams=Banter wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm
Tweetypie wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Delightful photo! Such love!! xxx
They're just waiting for you to come and collect them......
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Hee hee, I know, just need to convince the other half...and ensure I can seperate them.... ;-) x
Bantams=Banter

Post by Bantams=Banter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Well, I've done it! A Rhode Rock (Raven), a Speckledy (Mondi) and a Bluebelle (Margo Leadbetter) 😉 all settling in and stealing my heart...

First question. What time do I put them to bed? Currently they're all dozing in the sunshine in the coop doorway..
1 x hubby
2 x children
3 x cats
5 x guinea pigs
2 x chickens
rick

Post by rick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Fantastic! Lovely!
You may need to show them where the roost is first night but they will put themselves to bed (otherwise) at exactly the same light level every night. There may be (will be!) some squabbles as they sort out their roosting arrangements but as the light level keeps dropping they have no choice but to settle down for the night.

... I cant remember how you have your set up - If you have a secure run its nice to leave the coop door open so they can get up themselves in the morning at first light. If not you can close the coop door for security when they have settled down.
Bantams=Banter

Post by Bantams=Banter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 pm

rick wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 pm
Fantastic! Lovely!
You may need to show them where the roost is first night but they will put themselves to bed (otherwise) at exactly the same light level every night. There may be (will be!) some squabbles as they sort out their roosting arrangements but as the light level keeps dropping they have no choice but to settle down for the night.

... I cant remember how you have your set up - If you have a secure run its nice to leave the coop door open so they can get up themselves in the morning at first light. If not you can close the coop door for security when they have settled down.
It's a coop in a welded steel run with a roof that's on concrete. However, we back on to a railway line that is highly populated with urban foxes, so I'd sleep better knowing they are locked in at night.

I've been in a job for a year now where I get home at 11.30pm and I have got into a bad habit of sitting in front of Netflix until 2am.

Not any more! Straight to bed and up to let my girls out! 😁
1 x hubby
2 x children
3 x cats
5 x guinea pigs
2 x chickens

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”