sex change

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

sex change

Post by chickenfan » Mon May 07, 2018 10:37 pm

I've got a couple of hens that have grown spurs and become flirtatious with the hens even though they live with a cockerel. They dont have a very nice time as the cockerel is aggressive with them. I just wonder if there is a solution for restoring them to egg-laying again?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: sex change

Post by chrismahon » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 am

We have a lot of hens with spurs- usually just one. Those that have two have one much smaller than the other. All ours are laying, some are crowing occasionally and a few are flirtatious on occasions, even with a cockerel. Don't think there is a solution?
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 am

I've only ever had one that stopped laying after one season, and started crowing. She didn't grow spurs, but her wattles did grow quite large. She was a huge cuckoo maran. With the bizarre name of "pigahlet my pigahlet"!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
rick

Post by rick » Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm

It's the time of year for funny goings on. On Sunday we had a raucous egg song 'in the round' with all joining in. It was started off by the little man.
Tofu? Lots of estrogen but no idea if you can effect them that way. Probably not. Brownie my brown hybrid had spurs. I thought Teabag was turning into a cockerel one time but it passed.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Our old Bluebell, the one who acts like Darth Vader, has just entered her sixth year and this spring she has started crowing and has a magnificent comb and wattles. On the plus side she seems to have quietened down a bit and doesn't beat everyone up on sight
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Thu May 10, 2018 8:54 am

bigyetiman wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 pm
On the plus side she seems to have quietened down a bit and doesn't beat everyone up on sight
That's always a plus! :D :D
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm

My elderly Ancona Dottie has grown huge spurs, and keeps trying to mount the others not very successfully, and she is growing not only white headed but increasingly aggressive, still lovely to me though and still laying.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu May 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Same as our Bluebell she still pops out eggs now and then and boy don't we all know about it when it happens ! She still stomps about like Darth Vader though.
She is a real character, and at long ago she was firmly at the bottom of the pecking order so I do admire her grit and determination in getting to the top
Eris
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Eris » Mon May 14, 2018 11:21 am

I still have a pullock from last years hatch. Looked 100% a pullet, feathered up just like a pullet, but acted like a cock. At around 8 months it finally decided to grow spurs. Now with spring arriving it decided on its sex and chose to look like a cock with comb and sickle feathers growing, but I rather suspect will just remain another flipping oddity around here and probably infertile 😀

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”