Eggs please!

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

rick

Eggs please!

Post by rick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Feels like we have been eggless forever. The CLBs are well due to start laying as soon as the days start to get noticeable longer. They think it is great fun to kick all the nice comfortable nesting material out of the nest boxes at the moment and I keep putting it back and telling them that they will be thankful of it soon.
valeriebutterley

Re: Eggs please!

Post by valeriebutterley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:12 am

I had 8 eggs yesterday, including one beautiful CLB blue, first one for ages. It will happen soon, Rick.
rick

Post by rick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46 am

Soldiers at the ready :)
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 pm

On 4th January my trusty Chalkhill Blue started laying again- my first egg since October. She's now laid 819 eggs since we got her, though she's not yet convinced by the nestboxes in the new coop.

I've told her she has to get used to it & teach the new girls what to do; they're still producing skinny poos, so no eggs from them for a while yet...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

We're nearly 6 weeks through the darkest days, three weeks before and after the solstice, so at least here in the southern half of the country things should be picking up soon. I wonder when hens return to lay up on Fetlar, HenGen?
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Valentines Day +\- seven days. :D
rick

Post by rick » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:17 pm

I like the way you keep a tally for your hens Icemaiden
and the way that keeping chickens keeps us keenly tuned into the year in the modern world.
I should keep a tally for the new hens. Mo is still developing a comb very, very slowly. Maybe she will just have a small comb for keeps.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 am

My other CLB laid yesterday, so probably not too long to wait now Rick.
She must be at least 3 now, and I wondered if she would still be laying, but good girl, she is, although both hens are now getting quite large and plump, easy to tell apart, they have different "cloaks" one mostly dark and one mostly light feathers.
rick

Post by rick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm

That's handy Val. Lulu and Pom (strange name I know but it's stuck now) are virtually identical apart from a different fold of their combs and their characters - Pom trying to blend in with the crowd and Lulu totally in your face! I find it funny though, however bold they are as soon as you make to pick one up they're gone. Betty was like that as well, even when she was laying.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 pm

3/5 today! My two-year-old hybrids have been laying all though last winter, last summer and this winter, a brown one from the Blacktail and a white from the Leghorn. Lately the Blacktail has taken to laying a huge, misshapen egg on alternate days. Today my 4-year-old Chalk Hill hybrid came up with a lovely green egg. All 3 looked very pretty in the bowl.
Now waiting to se if the 6-year-old brown leghorn hybrid and the 7-year-old CLB will also manage any this year.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”