chicktec egg wash

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Re: chicktec egg wash

Post by dinosaw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:28 pm

You can put some extra protein into their diet to help them out but don't overdo it though. Now you've removed the culprits they ought to be fine with just their layers feed.
dye29
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dye29 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

when you say extra protein how , im giving them greens every other day and a mix of layers/maize
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 pm

The golden rule is that good quality layers feed should be at least 90% of their diet. It contains everything they need including quite a lot of protein. The exception is greens - any amount of greens is fine, they seem to just know that they also need the pellets.
Dried mealworms are very high in protein. Classic chicken treat - they will go crazy for them. You've got quite a few hens so a couple of handfuls scattered around, so they have to find them, would do no harm occasionally. Alternatively you could scramble and cool a few eggs for a special treat.
dye29

Post by dye29 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:39 pm

ive heard a few methods are these correct or a load of crap , feed hens scrambled eggs and chick crumb for high protein and will this help kick start feather growing
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:11 am

Hens will either be growing feathers or not and if they are without patches of feathers then they will choose themselves when they are ready to grow new ones. You haven't reported any blood on your flock so it sounds like any problem you have with pecking isn't severe. But it does make me wonder if your dilution of layers pellets with maize may have left them short of protein because one source of protein that they will go for is feathers. (though if they were that short then someone would have drawn blood by now and it would get very messy very quickly.)
Just get them on a proper diet of min 90% layers, a few treats of mealworms or scramble maybe to give them a pick-me-up but no more than that.
You can't make them grow feathers - only make sure they are well fed so they are well equipped to grow them when they are ready. And stop any major feather pecking characters, of course, as said above.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am

Cod liver oil, pure and simple, is also supposed to give them a boost.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 am

You have to be very careful if dosing with cod liver oil as more than a tiny amount is bad for them and also it can make the eggs smell and taste fishy. When mine are coming through moult I give them some Nettex Mineral Boost, which contains a balanced mixture of minerals and also probiotics and seaweed to help general health and feather growth. In the cold months I give it to them mixed in to a warm mash in the afternoons. Just mix pellets with enough hot water to make them crumbly, and stir in the Nettex plus a small handful of mixed corn and any other treats you have. Spread it out on a big plate - mine is up on a concrete block so the feed is off the ground and keeps clean. They go mad for it and then go to bed with warm, full crops ready for the long cold 15-hour winter nights. The extra water in the pellets also helps keep them hydrated if the drinker water is unpleasantly chilly for them.
But as Rick says, nothing will make them sprout new feathers overnight! If you've found the cause and dealt with it, they'll start feathering up soon.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:55 am

You want to cut the maize out completely Steven. Like I said they will be fine just on layers but if you are really desperate to give them something then give them some scrambled egg or hard boiled egg chopped up. I think you said you had 15 chickens, so 3 eggs per day and no more than that would give them a bit of a protein boost, don't feed them the egg for longer than a fortnight. But as others have said, don't expect to see feathers jetting out of them.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am

Sorry to sound miserable, Steven, but my birds get no treats/dietary additives at all apart from the odd cabbage to alleviate boredom if any feather pecking breaks out. Generally I feed red cabbage because it makes their poo blue so you can see that they're all getting some.
I hold the view that layers pellets and/or breeders pellets are a well balanced diet and that additives just upset this balance.
To put it bluntly I suspect that the feeding of treats has less to do with the chickens needs and more to do with the owners need to nurture.
dye29

Post by dye29 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

ah ok , i was told to feed maize in there diet by a poultry farmer it increases the yokes makes them rich orange colour which does work , ill keep them on poor layers for now then thanks , why was my pecking spray attracting the hens to peck

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”