chicktec egg wash

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: chicktec egg wash

Postby dye29 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:16 pm

ye just very red no blood at all , ill leave well alone for a good week before doing anything ive tryed a pecking spray to be on safe side but cant see any pecking anyways
dye29
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby rick » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 am

This may not be the cause Dye, and I'm not sure how long the redness has been going on, but be careful that you haven't got too much diatom around the roost. If you gently rub a bit of it on the back of your hand you'll see that its actually quite abrasive and irritating. You just need it in the corners not everywhere. If it is everywhere, just wipe it off the flat surfaces with a damp cloth.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 am

And in any case, there's no need to use it in winter when it's far too cold for red mite to be a problem.
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:14 pm

oh i bet thats my problem then its everywhere even in nest boxes ill have a good clean out then and wont put any down from now on until warm weather thanks guys couldnt do it without you
dye29

Postby Marigold » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Diatom is actually rather dangerous stuff. If it's inhaled and gets into your lungs it's just as abrasive as on your skin, and can cause all sorts of problems, from asthma and bronchitis to lung cancer. Not good for the hens to breathe it in, either. Maybe next year, use it made up as a paste with some water and just paint it on round the places like perch ends where the mites would gather.
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:46 pm

whats a good feather pecking spray tryed one and seems to actract them to peck lol
dye29

Postby rick » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:10 am

dye29 wrote:whats a good feather pecking spray tryed one and seems to actract them to peck lol

I think mine is Netex - very common brand. But they should all be very similar (Just Bitrex solution in a can.)

What colour is your 'anti peck' spray? If it is purple/blue then it is wound spray and, despite its purpose to take attention away from wounds, it can attract some general attention to a chicken.

Anti peck spray is clear like water and should be invisible to the hens. Never spray them all over.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby valeriebutterley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 am

I know you have to be so careful with Diatom, but I think there is nothing more effective. About twice a year, bearing in mind all of my girls are sweethearts naturewise, I get a bristle paint brush, dip in Diatom and dust head and neck and fluffy bum at the first sign of trouble from redmites.

It does seem to work overall, as it splits their shells, goodbye redmite!

I have heard that some keepers roll their pellets in it, then they never have worm problems, I have not tried this one.
valeriebutterley

Postby dinosaw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:52 am

Try seperating one of your birds from the others but keep them in view of their mates. If the feathers grow back then you know for sure you have a pecking problem. You can then start to narrow down who the culprit is by separating different groups but depending on the amount of space they have then it might just be boredom related throughout the whole flock. I would say 99% of the time you get feather loss like you describe it's going to be pecking whether you can see them doing it or not and you don't need to see signs of blood for it to be pecking either.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby dye29 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm

ok today i hid at my garden so hens couldnt see and sat and watched them for a hour i have 13 brown hens and 2 light sussexs . as i watched them the 2 light sussexs ones were going round and pecking every hen so today i have seperated both white ones from the flock until the brown ones feathers grow back i put one white one alone in its own run and the other with my vorwerk hens seem to get on better with them never seen it peck at all . the reason i asked about pecking spray was i sprayed all my hens tushes and that seemed to make the hens want to peck them even more this is what i used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Net-Tex-Anti ... xEr_4r4AjA . is there any sort of vitamin or suppliment i can give my hens to help them grow feathers abit quicker thanks steven
dye29

PreviousNext

Return to Any Other Discussion About Chickens