hens loosing feathers

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

dye29
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

hens loosing feathers

Post by dye29 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:54 pm

hi all please can someone tell me why all my hens have lost feathers around there bottoms i thought it might be molting but its only at bottom been like this a month they seem happy and still laying good just strange
Minorcafan

Re: hens loosing feathers

Post by Minorcafan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Have you noticed them pecking feathers off each other?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:52 pm

If you look closely can you see any lice or mites?
See Poultrykeeper website https://poultrykeeper.com/external-prob ... d-poultry/
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 pm

How many hens have you got?, how many roosters? and what sort of space are you keeping them in?.
dye29

Post by dye29 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:27 pm

cant see any pecking each other i have 15 hens no cocks , i keep them mite free regular by fully cleaning hut with smite and small sprinkle of lime powder plus been giving hens vermx and red mite dust bath
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Do their bottoms look red and itchy, and are they a bit messy round their bums? Have you ever wormed them with Flubenvet since you got them? If not, a worm infestation is a possibility, and you should be worming them with Flubenvet anyway now the winter is approaching. Vermex may help as a tonic, but it's not fully effective as a wormer, the only wormer licensed for use on poultry is Flubenvet.
If it is a lice infestation, you can try dusting them with Smite or similar mite powder, which is actually just medicated diatomaceous earth. The most effective treatment is Ivermectin spot on, but this isn't recommended unless you are sure that you know what is actually wrong, because it means you can't eat the eggs for several weeks after applying it. It should only be used on a vets prescription as well, which would mean taking at least one of them to a poultry vet for diagnosis and advice.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Rules out feather loss due to treading. You may not have seen them pecking each other but often people don't. It is the most likely reason for the feather loss in that area if you can't find any lice.
dye29

Post by dye29 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm

today ive had a good look at hens cant see anything but ive give every hens a good mite dusting and filled water with apple cider viniger mix and vermx pellets as per instructions also fully cleaned hut out and sprayed smite every where is there anything else to try
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 pm

No, I don't think there is, except, if it is worms then only Flubenvet will rule them out. Of course, hens loosing feathers at this time of year is nothing unusual but they should also be showing signs of pin feathers coming through sooner or later. Its only that it is all of them losing feathers in the same place... sometimes funny things like that happen and the cause can be pretty illusive. Unless you can positively identify some cause then trying too many 'maybe' solutions could do more harm than good - as long as they otherwise seem happy and the basics are covered (i.e. lice and mites are not microscopic, they can be seen - lice in the form of 'nits' on feather shafts and mite not on the hens but not far from perches in cracks or under mats etc. Worming with Flubenvet is the only definite option though Vermex, garlic etc. may keep parasite numbers lower for longer.)
I've just given mine some cider vinegar because one of them seems to have a persistent tummy disorder that I cant quite work out. The acidity should discourage harmful bacteria and encourage the beneficial sort [once this week and maybe again neat week] if that is the cause but she is also moulting along with the pullets (they are not exactly moulting but getting their adult coat and shedding feather sheathes like snow!) Bonnie's poo is also full of feather sheaths and that may be part of whats going on with her.
It gets to be a real puzzle sometimes! Just keep a keen eye out for clues :)
If it was lice (does have that effect) or mites then it will have been happening for a while in the warmer months and only just become particularly noticeable now in moulting season (maybe.) Be careful with dusts as a remedy - sharp sand and soil in dust baths and occasional, very cautiously applied diatom, etc. should be the only exposure to 'dusts' as a respiratory infection in birds can very quickly make all other worries academic.
dye29

Post by dye29 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm

where can i buy flubenvet from please

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”