800th egg!

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Icemaiden

800th egg!

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:19 am

Today (Friday) my Chalkhill Blue hen laid her 800th egg! I thought she'd finished laying a couple of months ago, but she produced one egg last month while moulting & this week has laid three! Not bad for a hybrid :-)08
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Re: 800th egg!

Post by Marigold » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 am

Those Chalk Hill birds do go on and on, don't they? How old is she now? And well done, you, for keeping egg records so meticulously!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:35 am

That's pretty astounding Icemaiden, as the general consensus seems to be that hens are only capable of laying 600 eggs maximum in their lifetime and most don't get anywhere near that.

On another astounding note we have a neighbour with a hen called Ukkie (Dutch for pipsqueak according to Google) that was 16 years and two weeks old a month ago- they hatched her. The neighbour was told by someone that the Guiness record was 15 years and something.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:33 am

I'm assuming, Icemaiden, that you know that a Chalkhill Blue is a kind of butterfly so 800 eggs is not that remarkable. Though it does take a hell of a lot to make an omelette.
Congratulations. Clearly good stockmanship.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:14 am

Well done to your bird, and you for keeping a count all this time Icemaiden, it would be a hopeless task for us I'm afraid. With regards to how many eggs a chicken can lay in it's lifetime the 600 figure is an old one Chris, the NYT had this little snippet about egg laying.

"Backyard chickens are another matter. In 2013, a cosseted British hen, Victoria, thought to be the oldest in the country, squeezed out two last eggs at the remarkable age of 17.

Two American “long-distance layers,” as they were called, became celebrities in poultry circles in the early years of the 20th century for continuing to lay eggs in old age. Cornell Endurance died at age 12, having laid 1,232 eggs. Cecilia, who was merely 10, was closing in on her record, The Farm Journal reported in 1922.

At the time, the normal maximum was believed to be 600 eggs, but selective breeding has since raised the limit. All the eggs a hen will ever lay are present in undeveloped form in the body from the start."
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Marigold wrote:Those Chalk Hill birds do go on and on, don't they? How old is she now? And well done, you, for keeping egg records so meticulously!
We got her in the summer of 2013, so I guess Nadia's about 4 1/2 by now. A mere youngster compared to Cornell Endurance though!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:23 pm

My oldest hen is a purebred CLB from Chalk Hill,now 6 and a half. I haven't kept count, but she has laid indefatigably all her life and even this summer has been producing 3 eggs most weeks, besides ruling the roost in the run. I also have a Chalk Hill Brown Leghorn hybrid, now 5, who is also still laying about 4 per week, and another sort of golden Chalk Hill hybrid, 4 years, who reliably lays pale green eggs most days in the season. I don't think they sell purebred CLBs any more, I had my Nutmeg as a sexed chick (along with Marigold of sainted memory, R.I.P.) I would go for purebred CLBs any day, lovely little birds, but don't know of anywhere near enough that sells 'real' ones.
Threads like this one make you realise how much awful waste of life there is in the egg industry, 'harvesting' all the flock before they're two years old.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 am

Well done on the 800th egg. We had a hybrid Barred Rock type who was a very elegant lady and was called the Magnificent Margot who laid an egg daily for 3 years then still went onto produce 2 eggs a week into her 5th year, hence the magnificent. She was a grand lady who in her 6th year just quietly came and sat by feet and died as serenely as she lived. Our stroppy Bluebell is 5 now and still producing eggs.
As you say Marigold such a lot of waste
RichmondHens
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by RichmondHens » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Up till last September I had a gorgeous little black crossbreed bantam who died aged 13. She laid fantastically well all her life including a few eggs in her final year.
Minorcafan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Minorcafan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:20 pm

The record so far is 16 years and 7 months for a Minorca hen in Eire. I did have a bantam mixture who just missed taking the record from her in 1982

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”