SOUR SOIL

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

tonyc 49

SOUR SOIL

Post by tonyc 49 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 am

The soil in our chicken run is going sour and smells a bit .Can anyone suggest a way to make it sweet again other than keeping the chicks caged up.We have eight birds that love to rootle so caging them would not be a long term option thanks

TC
Tim
Site Admin

Re: SOUR SOIL

Post by Tim » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:45 am

This is always a tricky one. I have seen people rake their runs with a leaf rake daily to remove droppings - I do the same in my grass field runs every couple of weeks when the droppings are dry but the only other thing you could do is remove the top couple of inches and replace it with new soil, or wood chippings / bark / shingle / rubber chippings - people seem to use different coverings that they can rinse through and then change eventually when they get too mucky. I have even seen turf being used - but I would be careful with that as there can be chemicals used on the turf.

I am in a similar situation. I have one run in my garden and I have used 20mm smooth stones although they have got to the point where no amount of washing is going to help. I plan to remove the stones this summer and pave the whole run so I can wash it. The chooks have daily access to a field and grass and are rarely kept in (only during winter when it is really wet in the field) so this should work for me.

Tim
tonyc 49

Re: SOUR SOIL

Post by tonyc 49 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks Tim,
We have decided to put down wood chips they are easy to replace as we get them free thanks for the advise

regards
Tony and Hazel

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”