Garvo

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Hen-Gen

Garvo

Post by Hen-Gen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm

So has anyone tried this Garvo Alphamix? Is it any good?
Marigold

Re: Garvo

Post by Marigold » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Garvo is an excellent make of several kinds of poultry food. I've tried it in the past, and Alfamix is a lovely mix of grains which the chickens enjoy. But it's very expensive compared with good-quality ordinary pellets, and transport adds to this. I found a suppler 5 miles from us so I could collect for free, but he gave up selling it eventually because it came in rather brittle plastic bags which were inclined to split too easily, thus making them unsaleable, at least at the full price ( though I was happy with the knocked-down split ones.)
poachedegg
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by poachedegg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Garvo is very a very interesting mix of goodies which I fed to my girls a few years ago. The only downside I found was that it encouraged selective feeding, they would gobble up all the treats in it and became very fussy about eating the pellets in it.Hope this helps Hen-Gen.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks guys. I had considered getting some as a scatter feed but if, as you say, they pick out the good bits then I won’t bother.
Even mixed corn is picked over and now I just buy wheat as a scatter feed
(In case any one is wondering they all get pellets in hoppers but a scatter feed is to give them something to do rooting around in their shavings. Also when free ranging it encourages them to come close and remain tame).
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I do exactly the same HG, straight wheat to lure them back into the run. The idea is to save me running about with my arms outstretched in the gathering gloom!

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”