red mite

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: red mite

Postby rick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

A G & T would work better - but look down the previously clean straw or hold it up to the light?
They much prefer natural materials to plastic which is likely, of course, at least one reason why the Green Frog has been mite free.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 pm

No idea! Can't even remember where I read it. Maybe you hold the straw upright and tap it so they fall out?
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bigyetiman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:45 pm

I have read it to, but I don't think it mentioned how you find out if they are inside the tube. If it was a bad infestation I presume you wouldn't see daylight through the end. Tap it on paper maybe
bigyetiman

Postby dye29 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:29 pm

ive been to garden today and all my hens bums are red and look saw again they did look like they were healing ok ive checked all my bits of rubber and wood for mites and nothing there , my hut looks like a crack house ive fully covered hut with earth powder so im sure there are no red mites getting to hens as they are laying good again too is it worth brushing on the poultry tar it says its a anticeptic and supose to heal faster i no there not actually cuts or wounds but any ideas if not . oh and the weather here has been very very cold so id of thought that will help keep red mites at bay
dye29
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Marigold » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:54 pm

So long as the hens' bums are not bleeding, and have no scabs, and are clean, there's no need to worry. It's normal for the skin on bare bums to look red while the new feathers are growing to cover it up. If you think the skin is definitely inflamed you could spray it with Septiclens, (a soothing poultry antiseptic which is good to have in your crack house in case a hen gets injured, or is being badly bullied by the others.) It's a purple spray which does make the hens' feathers go a funny colour but it camouflages the sore place or the injury so the others are less likely to peck at it. It also kills bacteria and helps skin to heal. You could try spraying some on to a saucer and then using a small paintbrush to get it in the right place, as if you spray it straight on out of the can it'll probably stain areas you don't want it to. If you ever have to apply it to a chicken's head, always spray a little bit on a saucer and then use a cotton bud to get it where it needs to go. Alternatively, if you think the skin is sore but not infected, you could try Sudocrem, that stuff for preventing nappy rash on baby's bottoms. Or you could just leave them alone but keep an eye on it, which is what I would do.
I really think you can stop worrying about red mite now, Dye, you've cleaned up really well and now it's winter they're unlikely to breed or bother your hens until the Spring at least. In any case I don't think a small outbreak would make all their bums go red, even if they were all recovering from a moult. Just keep an eye on your redmite tester kit to see the everything is still OK.
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm

thanks marigold im prob worrying too much just dont like to think there suffering . how long does it usually take for feathers too grow back
dye29
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Hen-Gen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 am

dye29 wrote:thanks marigold im prob worrying too much just dont like to think there suffering . how long does it usually take for feathers too grow back

In any case, how do you know what a crack house looks like? :shock:
Hen-Gen

Postby Marigold » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 am

dye29 wrote:thanks marigold im prob worrying too much just dont like to think there suffering . how long does it usually take for feathers too grow back

You'll be able to see the feather shafts coming through like little prickles very soon after the old feather has been shed. At this stage the area will be very tender and the hens won't like being picked up and examined, so leave them alone if you can. After about a week, the new fluff which will be the feather will begin to explode from the shaft and then it'll go on growing steadily for a couple of weeks or so until they're back to full fluffiness. Unless you're absolutely sure the area is somehow infested by mites, damaged or sore, its really best to leave it alone and let the new feathers grow. If you try painting them with poultry tar you'll just make a mess of the new feathers and they'll probably never grow in properly.
Marigold

Previous

Return to General Chickens Forum