It's so hot...

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: It's so hot...

Postby rick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 pm

That's OK Mrs B - everything is hot at the mo' by the sounds of it!
Was thinking some damp sand (as with Bigyetiman's hens digging holes) would be good then remembered that we have got sand between the side of the coop and the fence but its in an area which I fenced off securely after the fox visit. So I've taken a calculated risk today of hosing it down and giving them access until I get home this afternoon.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby bigyetiman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 pm

keeping fingers crossed for you, stay safe
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby rick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Bl**dy Hell! All the trains home from Brum are cancelled do to signals getting hot!
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby MrsBiscuit » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Well, I am pretty sure we are going to be OK, although a storm has just started with strong winds and lightening which won't help the fire effort which is still ongoing. A firefighter died today, there are 150 people in hospital, and now there are 14 water carrying planes including one/some from Italy. However, a couple of hours ago the fire was 70% under control so keep your fingers firmly crossed. The President has said he will stay in the region, with 'the people' until this nightmare is over. It turns out the entire country was posting highest ever temps for the day, on Saturday, and it was a lightening strike.
MrsBiscuit

Postby Marigold » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:21 am

At least not some vandal, or a discarded cigarette, then. What sort of temperatures did it reach on Saturday?
So glad you sound OK at the moment, please keep us posted.
Marigold

Postby MrsBiscuit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

Rather bizarrely it seems to have been 82 in PG on Sat, when the average is 73. This surprises me, as our temp was 107 on Sat compared to an average of 85 :shock:

But let's spare a thought for Phoenix, Arizona, where I understand it is 48 ( sorry for mixing measurement scales). :shock: can you imagine it, the hottest I have ever been is 44, in Australia.
MrsBiscuit

Postby Marigold » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 am

So glad I'm not on a beach! Enjoyed these pics from the Guardian today, (though I had an impulse to put a hat on the toddler in the second one.)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gal ... n-pictures
Marigold

Postby dinosaw » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 am

Marigold wrote:So glad I'm not on a beach! Enjoyed these pics from the Guardian today, (though I had an impulse to put a hat on the toddler in the second one.)

Anyone fancy lobster for tea? :shock:

MrsBiscuit wrote:Rather bizarrely it seems to have been 82 in PG on Sat, when the average is 73. This surprises me, as our temp was 107 on Sat compared to an average of 85 :shock:

But let's spare a thought for Phoenix, Arizona, where I understand it is 48 ( sorry for mixing measurement scales). :shock: can you imagine it, the hottest I have ever been is 44, in Australia.

That can't be right can it?, I'm almost sure it was hotter than 82 last time I was there in July 13. Hottest for me was Aqaba in Jordan, not sure how hot it was but remember buying an ice cream and half of it having run down the cone before I could eat it. Have ended up with 5 fluff balls in the end.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby MrsBiscuit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 am

Looking back over the days, it seems that PG is considerably cooler than where we live, but the weather stations are dotted about (ours is 10 miles away in a nondescript small village) and it may be the PG one is somewhere higher and cooler than the town itself, especially as it's not far from small mountains. Also, don't forget they are record breaking June temps, not absolute temps. We normally have 5-10 days of 40 and above, but only in July and Aug.

I can't begin to imagine Jordan in the summer, I would be defeated by the heat I am sure. Instead I am imagining Marigold's air con, as I practise thinking cool thoughts, and I must admit to buying some ice cream for medicinal reasons this morning!
MrsBiscuit

Postby Marigold » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 am

dinosaw wrote:
Marigold wrote:So glad I'm not on a beach! Enjoyed these pics from the Guardian today, (though I had an impulse to put a hat on the toddler in the second one.)

Wat is it with the Brits, that they actually seem to WANT to lie out in the 30+ sun and bake their enormous tummies?
If wrongdoers were sentenced to hours of that, there would be a public outcry!
Marigold

PreviousNext

Return to General Chickens Forum