Soft shelled eggs

The place to discuss Chickens.

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

Re: Soft shelled eggs

Postby Marigold » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am

There's always a first time, and it doesn't do to assume it won't be your birds next, as Rick's unhappy experience has proved today. "What they would do if a fox made a concerted effort to get at them" is to die a painful and terrifying death, or at least be injured and shocked. Rick was lucky to hear the commotion and get out there in time to save all but one of them.
As for the good layers, top of my lists is Columbian Blacktail. Nice neat little golden brown birds with perky black tails and lay very large brown eggs for their small size, almost every day for a long time. Also excellent are Leghorns or leghorn hybrids, who lay beautiful large white eggs and are gorgeous birds, again quite small in proportion to egg size. They are rather flighty so need some high perches in their run and are not the best for people who like to cuddle their chickens, but go on - and on- and on!
Marigold

Postby EWROBERTS41 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Everybody,

A sad day today!! All my girls went to a retirement home yesterday. It was strange this morning not going to let them out and watching them dive into their breakfast. The lady that keeps the 'home' tries to rehome them. They go to places like hospices and other institutions so its not all bad news. Now I have to clean the coop and the run ready for my next batch . I use Poultry Shield to disinfect the coop. Is there anything else that I should be doing to make sure that everything is as clean as possible before I get the new ones. It will take me a couple of weeks to get everything sorted. Marigold mentioned Leghorn hybrids. I have looked on line at various breeders but non mention leghorns. Do they go by another name as I understand a lot do?
EWROBERTS41
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby rick » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I think 'Whitestar' are the classic Leghorn hybrid but lean, flighty and laying 300ish white eggs a year probably indicates a lot of Leghorn too.
rick
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Marigold » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 am

Yes my white leghorn hybrid was sold as a White Star, but I also have a brown leghorn hybrid who is a beautiful bird, with a deep golden ruff of feathers which glows in sunlight over a body of darker brown-gold. She's now 4 years old and still lays white eggs very regularly. My oldest bird is a purebred Cream Legbar, now 6+ years, a very pretty little bird, still laying 2-3 gorgeous blue eggs per week and has never gone broody. Proper purebred CLBs are hard to find, as there are so many Legbar hybrids, but I would have another one any time if I could find one.
Marigold

Postby 3441sussex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 am

Harepathstead Poultry sell hybrid leghorns. http://www.harepathsteadpoultry.co.uk.
3441sussex
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby dinosaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

Sorry to be a pedant about this but "White Star" are white leghorns, 100% white leghorns, no other breed involved at all, just a lot of selective breeding to produce a smaller bird with better laying characteristics.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for that,dino, yes of course you're right. My White Star is actually about 2/3 the size of my brown leghorn hybrid and lays a very bright pure white egg. The brown bird also lays a white egg but when you put them together its like the typical Persil advert, so although they're both white I can always tell which girl has actually laid which egg!
Marigold

Previous

Return to General Chickens Forum