Spinning duck

The place to discuss the health of your waterfowl.

Moderator: dorsetduckowner

Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Re: Spinning duck

Postby n_holzer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 am

I've just read the article again, it says it's the males he's trying to get rid of. It's a female I'm planing to get for Albert. I wish I could give them all a home! If I lived in a place with a huge garden or field I'd have them in an instant, but my garden just isn't big enough. So sad :-(
n_holzer
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby dorsetduckowner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 am

They want all 3000 of them rehomed. So go get yourself a little girl! They are desperate! Perfect size for your little mallard too. Those little Cherry Valley girls are really sweet little things.
Where they can be collected from today: If you wish to collect a duck, the farm in Norton Field, Norton Lane, is open from 10am to 5pm today, Saturday and Sunday.

For more information call 01277 362414 or email info@fairtradeeggcompany.co.uk
dorsetduckowner

Postby dorsetduckowner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:14 am

It's all of them. I checked.
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 am

Oh I didn't realise! How lovely! I'll give them a ring and see what the score is, thank you :-) x
n_holzer

Postby dorsetduckowner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 am

They are saying just turn up, I imagine their phones are going mad. Spoke to the sanctuary taking the vast majority in and they confirmed, turn up and take what you want, remaining ones will go to slaughter tomorrow :(
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:42 am

That's really upsetting :-( it's going to be tough choosing I'll feel so awful for the ones I leave behind.
n_holzer

Postby dorsetduckowner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 am

you seem like you are very caring, why not pick one that needs extra care, there are some that are really struggling. Let me know how you get on x
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Well I'm happy to say that I went to the farm, and the ducks had nearly all gone! There were people queuing up outside, and the car park was packed. News must have spread cos people were coming from all over. Although I came out duckless, I was over the moon, and surprised to know that they had managed to re-home all 3000 of them! And from what I could see, they were going to good homes, and I really doubt any will be going to slaughter.
Looking at them, they were a little too big for my Albert anyway, and the garden. Beautiful tho, Aylesbury hybrids I think x
n_holzer

Postby dorsetduckowner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Ahh brilliant, I heard most got saved. Amazing what can be done in such a short space of time. They are Cherry Valley ducks, they can range in size from little layers to the whopping Super M3 strain which weigh a stone. Sadly they are not bred to live past 7 weeks and struggle with leg and heart issues if they grow to adulthood as I sadly found out.
So on the look out for a mate for Albert still then?
dorsetduckowner

Postby n_holzer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:58 pm

I think all got re-homed, I saw on Facebook that it was apparently confirmed they had all gone. I hope so anyway! Cherry valley I've never heard of that breed, that's really sad though about their life span. I suppose they are only bread for eggs and meat then?
Yeah I am on the look out for 1, or 2 females for Albert. Although I've got tonnes of books on ducks since keeping them, and researched quite a bit, I've deffinitely got to do a bit more if I'm going to keep a mix of a male and females. I'm considering breeds, as I would have loved female mallards, but hear they are very noisy (as much as I don't care, but considering neighbours). I hear muscovys are fairly quiet? Also 1 or 2 ducks; my vet thinks because Albert is so attached to me, that he wouldn't fuss over females as much, but I'm thinking 2 ducks is better for mating season. Saying that, my little call duck used to be the randy bird, and would forever try to mate my foot, whereas alb never seemed at all interested. I also don't want little Albert juniors waddling about, so is it just a case of removing eggs daily?
Before I get Albert any friends, I would ideally like to have his house built and settle him in first, so I've got a bit of time to do some reading up!
n_holzer

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Health