The Count and his exbatts.

The place to show off pictures of your chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Re: The Count and his exbatts.

Post by dinosaw » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:30 pm

A lot of variables to consider but if you introduced the new pullet to the new cock first and then put them in together then in theory he should provide protection to her. Even if this wasn't the case a boy in the flock tends to reign in the excesses of the hens as he likes everyone to see that he is in charge. Of course the one pitfall you may have with the number of hens involved is overtreading, some boys are randier than others and they all have their favourite girlfriends who can soon have baldy heads from the non stop attention (and baldy backs if you don't step in) so you would have to be able to provide a bit of respite occasionally by taking the the lad out and penning him separately.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 pm

Hopefully it will be a good while before I have room but I'll think about how I might build, ventilate a soundproof (ish) roost.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Oh yeah forgot to say, you will have to pick him up and put him in it every night then get him out in the morning which can be a hilarious experience when you put them down and watch them go!. It is one of of the great advantages of living remotely with a bit of land now, I can just leave them to it.

Return to “Photos of Chickens”