The Count and his exbatts.

The place to show off pictures of your chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

dinosaw
Part of the Flock

The Count and his exbatts.

Post by dinosaw » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Some (poor) photos of the Count with his new exbatt girlfriends. Have begun to integrate the two black Araucanas with them today, he absolutely loves them and has been very protective of them bless him which is good as one of them is practically blind.
Attachments
Count1.jpg
Count1.jpg (215.9 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
count2.jpg
count2.jpg (205.95 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: The Count and his exbatts.

Post by chickenfan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Brilliant name for your majestic, superior bird! The new ex batts look lovely too.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Oh! I wish we could have a cockerel! Lucky ladies!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Sorry my description was a bit ambiguous chickenfan the ex batts we have had for a year but they are new to him. We started out being silly calling him Count Orloffsky and eventually it stuck so he is the Count for short.

Urban doesn't always need to be a barrier to cockerels Rick, I kept them in a suburban garden with a bit of faffing at keeping them quiet in the morning. Apparently the neighbours didn't hear them till we let them out though they may have just been polite as they were very good neighbours on all sides.

I shouldn't encourage you though.
chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by chickenfan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 pm

You could have a cockerel without a loud crow perhaps Rick - and bring him indoors at night. I put mine in a brick shed in cat boxes and you can hardy hear them crowing in the morning. Some of the bantams are much quieter and their voice can carry less. I have a gentle silver sablepoot that you hardly notice even in the daytime.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:53 am

That's a good point chickenfan. I've got a full coop at the mo, but in the future maybe.
There's a Chinese family a few doors down from us and the crowing from there was so infrequent that inner there was a cockerel around but couldn't place it. Also it would be giving a rare chance to a lad and shouldn't feel any blame for taking the chance back if they're too wayward (like dinosaw said recently 'three strikes and your out'.) Quarantine each time would be a bind. Maybe possible after all. Thanks.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 am

You did similar to what we used to do chickenfan, we had a coop within a coop within a brick outhouse. If you ever take the plunge Rick it is worth trying to source a lad as old as you can find or he will struggle to be accepted and may indeed find himself on the wrong end of a beating from the hens. It isn't always easy as most people like to get rid of boys as soon as they start crowing, finding a cock for sale as opposed to a cockerel is quite rare.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:38 am

Ah - never realised there was a difference between a cockerel and a cock. New vocab!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22 am

A cock is a male bird who is one year or over, unfortunately because the word has taken on another more popular meaning it has fallen out of use presumably as it was met increasingly with sniggering and now cockerel is (wrongly) used universally. I was tempted to give some nice examples of conversations you might hear between poultry fanciers that have double meaning but I decided I would probably be told off.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Along the lines of being up before sunrise. I see what you mean!
Do you think it would be easier to introduce one new pullet with a cock(erel) around?
I'm thinking 3 hens in the flock which would normally be difficult to sustain. The Count seems to be having a moderating effect that would change the all hen constraints somewhat.

Return to “Photos of Chickens”