Batt in Business

The place to show off pictures of your chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Batt in Business

Post by dinosaw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 am

Looking down the photo postings here it was March 20th last year that I gave up my lovely birds to move abroad which makes it just under a year without chickens and what a long year it has been. Just moved into our new house (3rd move in under a year :-)07 ) and the first priority was to get some birds, luckily there was already a large fairly decent run and a very well made house already in situ. I looked at the BHWT site and saw they had a collection in Oxfordshire on Sunday, we have always talked about giving a home to some ex batts and now I am a very happy chicken keeper once more. We went with the intention of getting 6 but when there were going to be some leftover and we have the space we have ended up with 9. They were really good on their first day, took them about an hour to come out of the house and I managed to coax them in by by opening up the side door and calling to them, once a couple of the more curious came to have a look the rest followed. Next day there was bit of blood from comb injuries as you can see from the blood on the feeder but nothing too bad, they are adept at the comb grab I have to say, but mostly they have been too busy digging and eating. The feathering levels are variable but I have put a photo of the worst couple of birds on here, strangely enough the one at the feeder is also the most confident of the bunch and spent the first hour here putting every other chicken in its place. Amazingly I got 6 eggs from them on my first day, which is way more than I would have expected. Hopefully in a few months a will be able to post some photos of fully feathered hens.
Attachments
feathers2.JPG
feathers2.JPG (232.6 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
feathers1.JPG
feathers1.JPG (212.38 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
DSC_0393.JPG
DSC_0393.JPG (239.92 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Batt in Business

Post by chrismahon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Pleased to see you are back Dinosaw. They look surprisingly healthy hens, considering what they have been through.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi Dinosaw, great to have you back. As you've been getting birds I expect that you're home for good now?
What an interesting collection of hens. It'll be fascinating to watch them getting used to life in the outside world, and the before and after photos will be revealing. A good time of year to be rehoming birds who are having a bad hair day, as well - you won't have to worry about whether they're feeling the cold.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Yes, back for good Marigold,it was only after moving abroad that we realised how many things we missed about Britain and by the end of our time we were counting the days to come back. Have managed to get the amount of land that we had been looking for to keep a lot more birds, so hopefully in the summer will take on some geese and going forward the next project would be to hatch my own flock of Barnevelders or Faverolles but I'm getting ahead of myself as usual. These particular hens came out of the barn system Chris which may explain their condition, in terms of the space requirements it can be worse than cages at 9 birds per square metre as the legal maximum but they do get to perch and move about and I think this is reflected in their strength compared to what you would expect from caged birds.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 am

Some better photos now they have settled in, they are already mobbing us at the door when we come up to the run, amazing what a few grapes will do for your popularity.
Attachments
ex6.JPG
ex6.JPG (207.34 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
ex5.JPG
ex5.JPG (202.26 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
ex4.JPG
ex4.JPG (220.67 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
ex3.JPG
ex3.JPG (173.15 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
ex2.JPG
ex2.JPG (206.65 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
ex1.JPG
ex1.JPG (198.81 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:40 am

Brilliant photos, dinosaw. What a lovely grass enclosure, they must think they've died and gone to heaven. Have they got names yet? I mean, can you reliably tell them apart at this stage? It looks as if their combs are already beginning to go a better red.
I spent the hen rescue who organised the rehoming would be very pleased to have some of your photos for their publicity.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Thank you Marigold, I can only tell three of them apart at the moment, two who are poorly feathered and one that is particularly inquisitive, I agree with you they are already looking so much better and have gained hugely in confidence, two of them jumped out of the coop when I opened the door to poo pick yesterday and started exploring outside of the run. Just looked on the BHWT website and they like you to send photos and have a link to send them in so I will do.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by BabyBantam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:47 pm

I have to say I'm horrified at the condition of them even though they come out of the 'improved' farming system :( just glad I dont eat eggs or contribute to the ongoing welfare issue of these poor hens. Good on you (and everyone else) that makes room to give these lovely intelligent birds a chance to retire in style :)
Knowing how beautiful Pootie looked (next door) once she feathered up, you should have some lovely looking girls at next moult.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:57 pm

Great photos, Dinosaw. You clearly don't mind lying (sp?) down in chicken poo to get a good picture!

I'll be interested to see how long the lovely grassy run lasts. Mine looked like that once :-)10
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
chickenfan

Post by chickenfan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Good luck with the birds Dinosaw. I'm shocked by their condition too. Its great they are finally having a proper life.

Return to “Photos of Chickens”