What to do with unwanted presents?

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: What to do with unwanted presents?

Post by Sue »

Hi Marigold, yes, I know your problem is how to 'receive' the gift, but I was just having a joke about rehoming your Miele!

At £250 for your birthday present I think I would just be grateful whatever it was!!! My husband wouldn't dream of spending anything near that amount!

I have to sympathise with your husband though and his inner ear infection (sounds like Labyrinthitis) as I have Meniere's disease, which is a lifetime condition with very similar symptoms, which I can get at any time, without any warning! It also causes gradual hearing loss. It's not very likely that you will catch it from him though, it's not like a cold or flu virus. I hope he feels better soon.

When is your birthday by the way?
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
belleisa
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by belleisa »

Hi
Oh yes I know that feeling
My answer would be to act surprised, look really interested and say , "wow thank you , it certainly is an interesting present"
Then a few weeks later let him down gently, but by which time you might even find it an interesting object and not have too.
These days like last week I started making suggestions , ie hm that iPad 3 looks very nice, even though I have the iPad 1 I would love to upgrade, and another year I found an amazing ring for him to buy me.
Like you I have had some great presents and some not so great, but after 37 years together and your 40 years you will know how to react at the time
Good luck
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Hi Marigold.
A bit late for this year, but an idea for next year...
I've learned to pre-empt my husband by telling him exactly what I want, or buying it myself! This year I'm getting a 2nd hand coop; it's already in the back garden ;-) Mind you, it does mean that I don't get many surprises, but it saves getting an iron or a cutlery set with forks big enough to dig the garden...

Hope your husband's on the mend & that if it IS labyrinthitis, it passes quickly. The version that stays for life isn't much fun.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

OK, so today is the big day! What happened? Which mysterious box was your birthday pressie?

Do let us know what happened, please.!!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Well, as usual there was a lovely pile of prezzies, and a cup of tea in bed whilst I opened them, including Electric Quilt 7 (patchwork quilt design software which will keep me VERY happily occupied through the winter) and some other desirable items. The last box was very large- and heavy - especially when it was accidentally dropped on my outstretched shins. Tony is brilliant at wrapping stuff up so you have to take a hammer and chisel to parcels to get through the sellotape sealing in the wrapping paper, (whereas when I was a little girl in the 1940s it was a sin to tear wrapping paper because it had to be re-saved and ironed for use next time. My only problems then were undoing the knots in the string, yes I can remember sellotape being invented, along with those newfangled polythene bags we used to wash and reuse.) However I unwrapped this very carefully as I didn't want to damage the box underneath.....
Anyway, I had been practising my 'surprised and delighted amazement' face, and I thought I'd done a pretty good job, under the circumstances (those being that I'm not a very good actress.) I didn't unpack the Item, just opened the lid to look in wonder at all the gizmos in the box, ie as well as the vacuum, a docking bay, attachments etc. and remarked that I would need to read the instructions carefully later on in the day. So after breakfast we took the dog for a walk as usual, and he said 'I don't mind if you want to send it back, you know' and after a friendly discussion, and as he obviously didn't mind, that is what I did. Thank goodness he got it from wonderful Lakeland - nice lady on the phone was very understanding, said his card would be refunded immediately and a messenger from the Gods would collect it for free next week. And Tony even did the vacuuming this morning, dear man, using the perfectly suitable existing cleaner!
So now I've been told to scrub up by 5.00p.m. ready to be taken out for Birthday Treat. What a lovely day!
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

So alls well that ends well.. :) so what will you have instead? Dare I ask... :D :D
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Well, the refund would well cover an iPad mini for Christmas.....
belleisa
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by belleisa »

That is a great idea, iPad mini.
Good choice
Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sue »

Sorry it's a bit late, but Happy Birthday! I'm glad it all turned out ok in the end. Hope you were taken somewhere nice this evening and had an amazing time!
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!

Return to “The Dustbath”