If pets kept a diary...

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: If pets kept a diary...

Post by tygrysek75 »

Aww,haw sad,no fluffy chicks,how cruel of you Marigold :mrgreen: I loved every line :-)08 :-)17
The older I get the older old is.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Update from Marigold's diary, (bedtime.)

Things have just got worse and worse. After I was put back in the run, I knew She was watching me, so I made a point of staying out of the coop and walking round ostentatiously with the other girls. When bedtime came I found She had blocked off the nestboxes, of course, and I didn't fancy the perches somehow, so I just tucked myself in quite comfortably on the newspaper in the corner behind the pophole and was just spreading my wings, fluffing myself up, and settling down after not sleeping a wink last night, when She appears, bundles me out of the coop and to my horror I find I'm on my way out of the run and being stuffed into the Sin Bin again! I squawked really loudly, and my friend Nutmeg rushed out of the coop as well calling out' 'Marigold! Where are you going? come back!'

But it was no use. Here I am, back in the slammer, most uncomfortable. She kept on uttering platitudes like 'It's for your own good, Marigold' and 'This hurts me more than it hurts you.' All I can say is, She's going to sleep in a lovely cosy bed, no doubt. She should try it out here, with the wind up her bum, see how she likes it.

I am a very disgruntled and unhappy hen.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Poor Marigold Marigold. We've stopped putting ours out a night after losing Lulu. But it does take a heck of a lot longer for them to snap out of it. Ollie doesn't even go into the nest box now as she thinks it is blocked off (and its not). She went two weeks last time. Good thing is we now know she will make a good broody and go the distance. Mind you her mum did bite the heads off all the other chicks and eat then as they hatched !!!
animartco
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by animartco »

Oh, just discovered these. They're great!!! I don't think I can do as well, but here goes;- Big Thrush's Diary
It's the fourth, what fifth day now. Seems like months. What is that person, calls herself ''mum' thinking of? Every year poor Little Thrush gets locked up in a pen or in the garage for ages, and I am not allowed near her. But before she has had company:- little ones, our children. Now she is alone and she should be out with me to make her eggs good. What is that 'mum' person thinking? She keeps saying she's very sorry and she knows I want to be with Little Thrush, who is getting quite desperate to be out and throws herself against the wire so much that I'm hoping that soon it will come away and she'll be free.
The 'mum' did try to explain. Bless her she tries to think at us but she isn't very good at it. It is something to do with where Little Thrush is laying her eggs. Always before 'mum' has built a little pen round her chosen nest site, which is open at the top so that Little thrush can fly out when she has to announce her sitting prowess which she does from the roof of the next house along. And every morning 'mum opened the pen so that she could walk back in after her constitutional. Then when the eggs hatched, my beautiful family were moved into the garage, but that was all right because 'mum' let them out every morning so that we were all together.
Only when the little ones disappeared and turned into these horrible peacock boys they were locked up for a while until someone came and took the boys away. But after that she was free. Now there are no boys and she is locked up and she hasn't even stopped laying her eggs!! And all because 'mum' didn't like the lovely nest she chose in the flower bed under a little wall between the sun lounge nd the swiming pool, next door.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Lovely story Animartco. When do they hatch?
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Yes, i really enjoyed that. Our ways must seem so puzzling to other species, don't you think?
Glad to say my Marigold (there she is, in the pic on the right) has now fully recovered and actually laid an egg today, a week after her second night in the Sin Bin. It certainly worked!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Marigold's Diary , July.

There have been some very strange goings on here lately. First there was all that rain for weeks and weeks, we got quite bedraggled, and I went broody again as it was at least dry and comfortable in the nestbox. I changed my mind after a couple of nights in the sin bin, but for a while I enjoyed dreaming of chicks.... Then, when the rain had stopped, we all had to spend a day out in the garden, whilst a man came and removed the old roof that covered part of our run. He carried three large green sheets of old roof and dropped them down BANG! next to us - of course we all panicked, it was terrifying, we thought the sheets were coming to eat us. Then he worked all day putting a new roof on, and when we went back in at night it was all ever so light, and we haven't had wet feathers at all since then, But the strangest goings- on happened this week. Again we were put out in the garden, but I noticed She was working in the run, carrying out sacks of stuff, sweeping up, hosing down everywhere, spraying disinfectant, and generally making a mess of our nice comfortably grubby home.When we were allowed back at night, all the old rubber chippings had disappeared! We had to eat our corn off the landscape fabric on the floor, it was very strange, but at least you could see what you were eating without having to scratch to find it. By then, I was crossing my legs to lay an egg, so I bolted up the ramp to the coop, only to find the pophole was shut! Its never shut, not even in the depths of winter! I made a big fuss, let Her know how urgent it was, and at last She took notice, and opened it. She even apologised, saying She had shut it to keep our coop dry when She was hosing down the run. I raced up the ramp, and got into the nestbox not a moment too soon.
You wouldn't have thought things could possibly get worse but they did, this afternoon. She put us out in the garden again, and kept coming past with great big bags of stuff, cutting them open, and shaking them out all over the run! When we were told to go back in, we all stopped in horror and refused to go through the door. The floor was no longer black, like it's always been ever since I came here as a chick, but had gone all white, like it did in the winter when that stuff fell from the sky, except that was all cold and wet and this was warm and dry. She had to pick us up, one by one, and almost throw us in the run. Of course, Nutmeg and I immediately jumped up on to our perch to get away from the mystery stuff, which was just everywhere and really deep. Those two white hybrids were not so sensible, though, they just started scratching around in it and finding all the bits of corn She had thrown to try to get us inside. Eventually we had to descend, of course, as we were hungry. It all looks terribly clean, will have to see what we can do about that. I must say, it is rather nice to scratch in and warm to sit on. Tomorrow I might try getting underneath the coop and see what it feels like. Only problem now is I heard Her saying to Him that tomorrow She was going to start worming us, whilst everything was so nice and clean. That will mean a week in the run with only rather funny-tasting pellets to eat, I suppose.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Great follow-on story Marigold. What's the warm white deep stuff?
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Aubiose. I contacted Flytes of Fancy to find out their prices + carriage, which I think were £13.50 per bale plus something like £30 carriage however much you bought, and asked how many bales I'd need for a 12 sq. metre run at about 4 ins deep. Very nice reply, told me to get about 1 bale per sq. metre. So I found somewhere local that did free delivery for £9.95 a bale, and ordered 14 bales so I'd have a couple of spares for the quails and for topping up in the months to come. The most I can sensibly get in the run is 6 bales, hens are practically up to their wings in it, but it is lovely stuff and I shall have to find somewhere dry to store the other 8 bales for the next year or two until it all needs changing again. Marigold now happily scratching around, and Flubenvet all mixed ready for tomorrow. They do look good in there. It makes the run look lighter too.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

We use that as well in Winter in the coops but be careful on very small feet. It is sharp and cuts them as I found out on some week old chicks -blood everywhere and bandages on their toes.

Return to “The Dustbath”