Online Fraud

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: Online Fraud

Post by Marigold »

Another Trading Standards warning;
C4499014-5DB3-4617-8B9F-58FA28FDB6D8.jpeg
C4499014-5DB3-4617-8B9F-58FA28FDB6D8.jpeg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 100 times
rick

Post by rick »

That's awful! Even the leaflet warning you about it could be priming for a bogus Royal Mail Fraud No. !
I suppose the only sure way of dealing with it is to only ever phone a number like that from a PAYG mobile with £5 credit? - or look up the fraud office number online but anyone who would think of that isn't the target. :(
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Or check out the crime stoppers link by finding it independently and then typing it in, not clicking the link?
rick

Post by rick »

Yes. That link doesn't look to worrying - they usually put a prefix on it to make a bogus site (like http:/ www . bogus / crimestoppers-uk .org/...) but its always best to go to the front door. Another annoying one is from the search engines - I recently was having to get a Land Registry document and had to scroll a long way down the search results before actually finding the link to the .gov site. The first one I followed wanted about £40 for a title deed (alarm bells ringing!), Its £3 direct.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

I had one yesterday from HM Tax and Revenue telling me I had gone into London on a date not specified therefore I had to pay £23.42 to the Home Office for breaking the congestion charge. No mention of the car reg or type. What a strange random amount. I suppose someone will click the link and they will grab their credit card details.
I just passed it onto the HM Tax and our local council councils fraud departments
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

bigyetiman wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:56 pm
I had one yesterday from HM Tax and Revenue telling me I had gone into London on a date not specified therefore I had to pay £23.42 to the Home Office for breaking the congestion charge. No mention of the car reg or type. What a strange random amount. I suppose someone will click the link and they will grab their credit card details.
I just passed it onto the HM Tax and our local council councils fraud departments
I had a similar one purporting to come from "The Court of Justice" no details given. I was also threatened with the amount (can't remember) doubling if I didn't pay immediately. A bit transparent as I live in the Outer Hebrides, don't have a car and no driving licence either.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Clearly doing the rounds, they wanted 12.24 off me.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Having just looked into Marigolds PDS warning, that in itself is apparently a hoax. See below. (not Marigolds fault obviously).

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/ ... ry-service
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

dinosaw wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:28 pm
Having just looked into Marigolds PDS warning, that in itself is apparently a hoax. See below. (not Marigolds fault obviously).

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/ ... ry-service
Oops! Marigold got it from my "shared" post on FaceBook and I got it from my brother-in-law. At least it only tells you what to do if you get a card ...

I've had countless calls about my (non-existent) Amazon Prime Account and emails recently about failing to renew my non-existent TV licence. I can see the source of the emails so know it's not just an error on the part of the TV Licensing Authority.

I still think the phone call asking people to pay for a Covid-19 test is one of the worst. Oh ad my sister got caught out renewing her European Health card thing by the first website on the search engine looking just like the official site. She paid before she realised :cry:
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Harmless compared to my brother-in-law's facebook posts, he's in Tucker Carlson fanboy mode at the moment which is pretty mild compared to some of usual stuff he posts..

Return to “The Dustbath”