Online Fraud

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Online Fraud

Post by Hen-Gen »

I’m getting sick of the endless ruses used to try and get you to impart personal information or to hack into your account. These attempts are either online or by phone. They’re usually pretty basic and easily recognised but I don’t really want to live my life in a constant fog of suspicion.
I’ve just notified a reputable clothing company that their company name is being used to attempt fraudulent activity.
I’ve just closed my Paypal account in order to prevent theft. When I try to open a new one they require a mobile phone number which I do not possess. I need a Paypal account to use eBay.
Bring back cheques, I say.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
bigyetiman

Re: Online Fraud

Post by bigyetiman »

Bring back trading with goods, I am good for beetroot how many beetroot per lamb chop ?
We have been plagued with calls from various numbers telling us we have won a big prize on the lottery and they need our bank details to pay the money in. Quite amazing as neither of us do the lottery. OH answered one and told the man she needed his details as her financial adviser dealt with all her money matters, he swore at her and hung up.
Another one doing the rounds is your Bosch washing machine warranty is up and you need to renew over the phone.
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

I've been having lots of 'your Paypal account has been suspended' scams via email this last week. I just forward them to spoof@paypal.com and delete them. Then I check by logging into my account direct.

Clever of your OH, BYM - I wouldn't have thought of that!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

My stepdad's had a letter from Bakker (apparently they sell plants & a range of overpriced tat, according to their catalogues). They say that he's overpaid on an order & want his bank details in order to repay him. I'm inclined to tell them to post him a cheque. What do you think?
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Ask them to send you a miniature windmill as a refund, or a barrowload of tulips that should leave them speechless
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

I don't know if you don't have a mobile out of principle or because of poor coverage up there HenGen but they are useful as added security for anything you are doing online. I had a PayPal problem where they suspended my account due to suspicious activity and now I have added one time passcode verification to my login which is sent by text to my mobile, same with amazon. Just adds another layer of security in case they hack your password.

Tons of PayPal and amazon phishing emails out there at the moment. I have heard of there is quite a bit of fraud involving the government bounce back loans going on too. Apparently they were carrying out minimal checks and people are taking out these business loans in other peoples names, setting up new companies to claim the money or, and this is much harder to detect, using the money to fund their own personal lifestyle.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

I get more by 'phone than email - had one this morning to say my (non-existent) Amazon Prime account would be renewed at £79.99 if I didn't press 1. I pressed the red button instead and then dialled 1572 which allowed me to "divert" that number so it won't ring on my phone. Don't knwo if that works with all landline providers - I'm with Plusnet.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Margaid wrote:I get more by 'phone than email - had one this morning to say my (non-existent) Amazon Prime account would be renewed at £79.99 if I didn't press 1. I pressed the red button instead and then dialled 1572 which allowed me to "divert" that number so it won't ring on my phone. Don't knwo if that works with all landline providers - I'm with Plusnet.
At work this morning, my client had the same call. It was an electronic voice, not a real person.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

dinosaw wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:57 pm
I don't know if you don't have a mobile out of principle or because of poor coverage up there HenGen but they are useful as added security for anything you are doing online. I had a PayPal problem where they suspended my account due to suspicious activity and now I have added one time passcode verification to my login which is sent by text to my mobile, same with amazon. Just adds another layer of security in case they hack your password.
I don’t think many folk have appreciated that you can receive a text on a landline. The message is spoken to you in a monotone, mechanical voice.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
rick

Post by rick »

There is something very funny about text messages on landline. About 15 years ago one of Dylan's schoolmates sent a text that came through something like (in typical machine speech): "...you have received an SMS message - the message says; You Smell! To save the message... To play it again..."

Return to “The Dustbath”