Favourite Car

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
rick

Re: Favourite Car

Post by rick »

My favourite car at the moment is my second hand Suzuki maxi scooter - well its kind of like a car, can get 3 bags of shopping under the seat and 2 more in the top box and it has a spacious glove box - and its a 400 so brings a smile twisting the grip on a clear stretch of road. I'm absolutely loving it and have been to loads of places around here that haven't been to for years.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Not a closet mod are you Rick?. When we first got back to the UK from Turkey, they put us up in London at the Premier Inn at Euston. We went for a walk down to regents park, it was remembrance Sunday and the place was absolutely choc a bloc with Mods with their Vespas and Lambrettas, all the mirrors and everything. We ended up having a coffee in Pret on Baker street and they all came down getting caught up at the lights, must have been 300 of them at least, took an age for them all to go past and smell of petrol, even indoors was something else.

There is a lady round here who drives a Herald convertible, it always looks really nice on a good summers day.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

That took me back to the 60's and the mods all meeting at Southend on their scooters near the Kursaal, people going by muttering about "the youth of today" as they went past. They were tame compared to today's youngsters.
Me wishing I could be one when I got old enough
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Hastings museum has a small but evocative permanent exhibition about mods and rockers, full of b/w photos of the men (and some women), the machines, the hair, the shoes, the clothes....
We have an Italian friend who buzzes about on a lambretta. I think he thinks he looks cool, but given we live in the middle of nowhere and so the sound of anything carries a very long way, we know when he is out and about because the sound of the hairdryer carries far and wide. Also, a very small serving of beer is known as a lambretta here, next time you are on QI.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

There's a Ska Festival every Summer (but not this year, obviously!) in a small coastal town near me. All middle aged mods, with beautiful scooters. There's a scooter club too.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

I think I have found what it was, or was part of at least. Something called the Wasps Scooter Club Ride of Remembrance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxJ1IAn6WEA
rick

Post by rick »

Fantastic - check out the blue haze! The chap on the sit-up-and-beg chopper style is standing out in the crowd!
Mine is an altogether more modern affair.
P7130112a.jpeg
P7130112a.jpeg (134.38 KiB) Viewed 429 times
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Fantastic Rick, we need a pic of you on it though
rick

Post by rick »

This is the best I can manage BYM (recent trip to Llyn Brianne)
IMG_20200813_115058-1.jpeg
IMG_20200813_115058-1.jpeg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Return to “The Dustbath”