Cheery Pics

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Cheery Pics

Post by LadyA »

Kind of sums up the situation alright. I don't normally do political comment, but I was very shocked that over 70million Americans actually voted for Trump, again. It's like "Who cares what he does, surely it's what he says he will do that counts?"
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

LadyA wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:49 am
Kind of sums up the situation alright. I don't normally do political comment, but I was very shocked that over 70million Americans actually voted for Trump, again. It's like "Who cares what he does, surely it's what he says he will do that counts?"
Apart from:-
1) creating 4 million new jobs
2) Highest employment rate ever
3) Economic growth at 4.2%
4) Highest average household income ever
5) African American/ Youth/Women’s/Asian/Hispanic unemployment rates at record low
6) 6 billion more to fight opioid addiction
7) USA/Mexico trade deal

I’m no fan of Trump. But it explains why 70million Americans voted for him!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Yes, Hen Gen, but he has spread hatred and division like never before, and has done untold damage to the US's standing in the world. And I know several of my American relatives say that he has stoked, provoked and supported extreme right wing factions, and made a good attempt at demolishing democracy. But, sadly, he's good at prodding people's fears. Fears of difference, and "the other", and as many many Americans have a tunnel vision view of the world, he, like Hitler, became very popular among the poorer and less educated. Who knows if Biden will be any better? Because I suspect a lot of people voted for him purely because he was the only alternative offered to Trump. Maybe they should have given Kanye a chance after all! :roll:
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Can’t disagree with most of what you say there, LadyA.
The good things about Biden are:
1) He’s better than Trump
2) He’s quite elderly so could die/resign which puts Kamala Harris in charge. Imagine her in the USA and Rishi Sunak here. That would change the world!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

I've got a friend who has pretty much earned his entire journalistic living over the last 4 years writing articles about Trump. He hates him, he manages to try and bring a bit of balance in his articles but he can't see any positives from the Trump era even though as Hen-Gen points out they do actually exist. Black lives matter could have handed him re-election, but he handled it badly. It was his terrible handling of Covid that did for him in the end though and rightly so imo.

Personally I think the Trump era has been all about noise and not action, when someone writes a history of the USA in a hundred years time he will get about the same amount of pages as former presidents Chester A Arthur or Warren G Harding. Who! I hear you cry, exactly!. If anyone has proved that the USA's system of checks and balances to limit presidential power is still working well then it is Donald Trump.

Biden is clearly suffering from early stage dementia, so who will actually run the country is an open question. What is certain is that nobody's life is going to markedly change as result of his election, just as it didn't during 8 years of Barack Obama. Same reasons, checks and balances plus the huge difficulty in amending the constitution which is as the founding fathers intended.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

You forget how weird your own childhood was....
- click on the pic to see the bottom half.

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/statu ... 5479949312
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Marigold wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 am

Mine wasn't that weird thank goodness!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

This certainly cheered me up. I don’t know how we would manage without Poppy to get us up in the morning, make us go for a walk, make us get down on the floor to play with her, and offer us endless licks and cuddles. And when I go down to give the chickens their afternoon plateful of warm mash, it’s so peaceful watching them all contentedly pecking away at the food and turning it into eggs next day. Magic.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... oronavirus them
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Marigold wrote:

Scary. No wonder I turned out the way I have !! Or was being sat on Rolf Harris's knee

OH has a friend who has every Blue Peter annual, and a Blue Peter badge
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

bigyetiman wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:43 pm
Marigold wrote:

Scary. No wonder I turned out the way I have !! Or was being sat on Rolf Harris's knee

OH has a friend who has every Blue Peter annual, and a Blue Peter badge
It might have been better if Peter Pervert’s costume had been cut a bit higher, to cover up his problems with holding his stomach in and reducing the wrinkles in his spare tyre.

Return to “The Dustbath”